Reef Discussion

Cayc

Mar 7, 2018
Buying From Sewatec
Hey, quick question. I'm looking to buy my lighting from Germany (sewatec) and was wondering if i would face any additional charges when the product reached australia. The lights are worth over $1000. I don't need to pay their tax, so shipping looks like the only additional charge, i read somewhere about import charges and just wondering if it applies, if so is it cheap.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The short answer is yes, you are meant to have to pay GST on purchases over a $1,000 once they hit customs here.

Not that I would count on it or try to get your hopes up, I have yet to have this happen to me when purchasing from them on the four orders I have done with them that have exceeded the threshold.

My only theory as to why is that the orders were under $1000 euros, excluding postage and that the covering slip didn't particularly make that clear.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah as said above - technically yes, but hopefully no.

Just keep in mind that you wont have local warranty on them should anything go wrong. With that in mind, the savings would want to be significant. I'd really only consider if saving 30% or more. 10% for GST that you may be charged and 20% for the potential warranty issues.

I bought some Maxspect Ethereals outside of Australia and wish I didn't. When an led failed I had no option for sending away for repair other than waiting over a month or more to get it back. Plus huge postage on top of that. My current Radions where bought here...