Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
Cabinet 1
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG

I needed two strong stands so I scoured the web for good stand designs. I found a simple but very durable design from Joey Mullen. I went out and got several lengths of 70mm x 35mm treated pine. I knew one of the tanks was going to be acrylic so I didn't want small children to be able to scratch the tank :) , so I built the stand 110cm from the ground. Firstly I made the bases/tops, then the uprights. Each of the corner uprights has three uprights and the mid section ones have two uprights. I put the bracings across the top and because I wanted a large sump/refugium I also put braces on the bottom. Just to be sure the cabinet was as durable as possible I also installed braces under the top braces.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
just 1 thing, treated pine is known to be poisonous/cancerous when kept indoors. IMO i would swap them out when funds permit for non treated pine. There was an article in the newspapers not to long ago about it being removed from all areas of childs play, even outdoors.

Benjamin Benc

Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
Thankyou mscott for your post. I was conscious of the dangers of treated pine but I used it to helped prevent mould and I completely sealed it with filler and several coats of paint. Also when I post my room plans, you'll see that I have quite decent ventilation.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
jealous of the 110cm height, if I were to do it again - that is one change I would make. I thought 90cm was high :cry

Benjamin Benc

Jan 14, 2014
Wheelers Hill
I settled on that height for a few reasons. The children scratching the acrylic was one reason, the other was that I found it quite comfortable to view the tank whilst sitting or standings. I am 178cm tall and I don't have to bend over to see everything in the tank. I can feed the fish or do basic maintenance whilst standing also. The only issue with it being at that height is that I need to use a step if I want to reach in and move rocks or clean the back wall.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Looking good mate, Like the lengths this entire build is going to. Also the over engineering of everything

just 1 thing, treated pine is known to be poisonous/cancerous when kept indoors. IMO i would swap them out when funds permit for non treated pine. There was an article in the newspapers not to long ago about it being removed from all areas of childs play, even outdoors.
I believe this to only be CCA treated timber, and only timber that is touched by the skin alot. It's still used in all forms of structural building

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I am thinking of building a stand and am worried about having a top that isnt level. Is there a trick to getting straight pieces of wood?

I don't think there is such a thing as a straight piece of wood :) and even if there were, are you sure that your floor is level? The best thing about wood is that it's so easy to fix. Have ago with your cabinet, make sure its a little bit larger than you need and if there is a mistake or unevenness, just take out a sander and smooth the blemishes out. You'll feel so much more achievement if you build the cabinet yourself instead of paying for it. It will also be cheaper (if you already have the tools) and you can customise it to your exact needs. You might even get addicted to DIY :)