Tank Journal Archive

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Cabinet / Build Update
Hey all.

Just an update on the cabinet and the build.

So since nic has returned from Bali, she has completed all the sanding and painting on the doors. Were both very happy with the final finish.

IMG_3726.JPG

The move of the cabinet into the house was interesting to say the least. We had to take the sliding door completely off the rail to get it in. Once in the house we had less then a foot clearance to turn it around, due to where the island bench is. BIG THANKS TO NIC, MAKING SURE WE didn't PUT DOORS ON FIRST BEFORE MOVING FROM GARAGE TO HOUSE.

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

You'll realise with time, Nicole is the patient one and very particular about making sure things are perfect. So I do what any guy does and stands clear :)
IMG_3760.JPG

Final placement in house with doors all attached. Side doors not mounted yet though, due to the sump needing to be slid in.

IMG_3765.JPG

Over the last couple days and way to many trips to Bunnings and masters, we have finally come up with all our storage items, shelves and dosing containers.

Was very excited when I walked into Deer park aquarium today and saw Dave the man had some PDU's in stock.

The green container will be the 50 litre RO for Smart ATO.

Pics of the final set up for dry side of cabinet.

IMG_3821.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG

Hope you enjoy the updates.

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Love your work.
How much is Dave selling the PDUs for? And does he have a few in stock?
Not to sure how many he has in stock. I think there were a couple others there. I would say just give him a bell and find out, especially if u need more then one.

E

ezza

Oh my flipping goodness how tidy is that cabinet?! That's just too well organized!! Very nice work.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sensational work, looking very tidy indeed!

@daveH - Ken and Jen have them in stock for the moment also, so if you have no luck with Dave, Ken may have a couple left?

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Thanks all for the comments.

Wrangy, your right be only two left now. Might be one shortly left. Still working out if I want another pdu.

@franking. It's a dupla marine marin

Reactions: Tan

Tan

Jul 4, 2015
Looking super clean mate.
Wish my under cabinent can look that good.

Looking forward to putting the tank on.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
An I get a quick run down on the paint, sanding method used on the doors please? I am soon to do mine but am getting alot of mixed reviews on finishes vs methods. I.e. spray, brush, roller vs type of sander etc

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
An I get a quick run down on the paint, sanding method used on the doors please? I am soon to do mine but am getting alot of mixed reviews on finishes vs methods. I.e. spray, brush, roller vs type of sander etc
Brendan has left me to answer this since was allergic to the paint and didn't have the patience, he's not entirely sure on everything that was going on in the garage to get it done.

First I used a rapid set spaking on all the edges of the mdf. Then sanded it back smooth with 180gritt hand sand paper and block.
Then light coat of 4 in one wet area paint done with a paint brush.
This was sanded back with a bosch orbital sander with paint specific sanding pads starting with 120 gritt also sanding the edges as I went.

Next another thicker coat of the 4 in one with paint brush. Sanded with 180 gritt.

Then using a mohair roller I applied the high gloss oil based paint. Then sanded with 240 gritt.
Another of the same sanded with 320 gritt. Another with 400 gritt and final with 600 gritt and the last coat of rolled on paint.

Given I used an oil based paint a clear should not be applied.
I slowly got better at painting and sanding with each coat back and front as I'd never done either before.

Be careful not to sand all the spaking from the edges or they will just keep soaking up paint.

I'm happy with the outcome given the hours put in but I believe given the right equipment you're better off using a spray gun to give an even smoother finish as no matter how hard I tried there's a few little roller hairs stuck in my last coat.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
WOW love what you have done so far!

It all looks so fantastic and professional! The paint work is first rate! Love a tidy aquarium cabinet as well!

So looking forward to the rest of the build!

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Brendan has left me to answer this since was allergic to the paint and didn't have the patience, he's not entirely sure on everything that was going on in the garage to get it done.

First I used a rapid set spaking on all the edges of the mdf. Then sanded it back smooth with 180gritt hand sand paper and block.
Then light coat of 4 in one wet area paint done with a paint brush.
This was sanded back with a bosch orbital sander with paint specific sanding pads starting with 120 gritt also sanding the edges as I went.

Next another thicker coat of the 4 in one with paint brush. Sanded with 180 gritt.

Then using a mohair roller I applied the high gloss oil based paint. Then sanded with 240 gritt.
Another of the same sanded with 320 gritt. Another with 400 gritt and final with 600 gritt and the last coat of rolled on paint.

Given I used an oil based paint a clear should not be applied.
I slowly got better at painting and sanding with each coat back and front as I'd never done either before.

Be careful not to sand all the spaking from the edges or they will just keep soaking up paint.

I'm happy with the outcome given the hours put in but I believe given the right equipment you're better off using a spray gun to give an even smoother finish as no matter how hard I tried there's a few little roller hairs stuck in my last coat.
Thanx for that.
I did the same for a bed in my boys room but was pretty sure my roller was not fine enough. You have helped heaps. Look out for an immitation black one on here soon! ;):D