Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Finally, I did all 3 Saliferts tests for Ca, Mg & Alk and the following is the result:
ai.imgur.com_mnjZ4vJ.jpg

I'm quite confident with how those tests went.

What's your thoughts on it?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
How did you manage to drop you Mg levels so quickly?
The 23/01 was LFS measure (before dosing).

The 24/01 was LFS measure (after dosing) ... I got a feeling it was incorrect.

Same LFS but different branch.

Today (28/01) was mine via Saliferts and I've followed all the instructions and the distinct color change has quite convince me Mg at 1440.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Are you dosing 4mls in one hit or over the course of a day?
I am dosing 4 ml in 1 hit per day as per yesterday.

I gradually started from 2 ml in 1 hit per day for several days until I noticed no impact on No3 then I up dosed to 3 ml in 1 hit per day which I observed No3 going down from 》80 ppm to ~40 ppm and it stay stagnant for a while.

Then goes 4 ml as we speak.

Logically, No3 should drop but shouldn't be that significant as I only up dose 1 ml.

To be specific, the dose done at night time, in the sump, in the chamber between skimmer and return, which in my case it's filled with pile of LRs.

Feeding regime: heavy which equates to 1 cube in the morning and 1-2 cubes at night time.

My full(latest) journal is here http://thereefuge.com/threads/high-nitrate.13985/page-4

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
You will find your life is a lot easier if you back the feeding right off, you will be surprised how little your fish actually need.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
You will find your life is a lot easier if you back the feeding right off, you will be surprised how little your fish actually need.
It's kinda battling/finding the right combination of NoPox and food.

It's kinda .... i dunno .. the only reason I feed that much (average 2 cubes per day) is because:
  • The Kole and Clowns keep eating.
  • The Fathead Anthias seems to be finicky but I am trying so hard for this fish not to end up like our Tamarin Wrasse. I've promised myself I won't let a fish die in my captivity due to lack of food or starvation.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Tangs and clowns eat well well beyond what they need until they look like they have swallowed a pissed off pufferfish

I have 4 tangs, 6 anthia, 2 borbs, 5 chromis, 2 fire fish and a royal gramma. I feed less than you do, the youngest fish in the tank has been there for 2 years and there are no sunken bellies. Most fish will need some conditioning when you first get them but make sure you regulate it after that.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Tangs and clowns eat well well beyond what they need until they look like they have swallowed a pissed off pufferfish

I have 4 tangs, 6 anthia, 2 borbs, 5 chromis, 2 fire fish and a royal gramma. I feed less than you do, the youngest fish in the tank has been there for 2 years and there are no sunken bellies. Most fish will need some conditioning when you first get them but make sure you regulate it after that.
Very interesting @NiCd !

How many do you feed those 16 fish? 1 cube per day, split half day half night?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just for another example- I only feed one cube of frozen and a pinch of flake/pellet once per day in my 6x2.5x2.
I have about 10 fish in there at the moment.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I am pretty lazy so mainly stick with pellet.

I am not sure if you know the little scoop that comes with the elos pellets, but using that I throw in one scoop of NLS in the morning and one of the Elos in the evening

Tangs get a strip of nori once, maybe twice a week and every other weekend when I remember they will get a cube of frozen in lue of both of the pellets

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Thanks @Buddy & @NiCd for the input!

I know this is not the 1st time i've been told that I am overfeeding !!!

As you know my masterpiece is the fathead ... I feel that it can take more than 2 bites .... but by the sound of it 1 to 2 bites/munch is enough for a fish hey?

I know that the Kole & the Clowns can survive without food for 2 days in a row (pretty sure but i won't try).

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
They can go a damn site longer than that, I travel for work a few weeks at a time and im lucky if my wife remembers to feed my fish twice during that time.

Most fish are good for two weeks just picking off the pods and whatnot, not that I encourage that, but they are a lot tougher than you think. If you loose a new fish due to starvation, odds are it hasnt eaten for a month or so.

Exporters stop feeding a week before they ship to they dont pollute the water, the collects dont feed them because it costs and they don't keep them long enough to worry about it. By the time they get to QT they are stressed and havnt eaten for several weeks so can continue that habit quiet easily, they are also at their most vulnerable to any parasites and whatnot.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
What's your personal limit in raising Mg on daily basis?

ai.imgur.com_A8KBGgg.jpg

Mg currently at 1230 ppm ... so to get to 1310 ppm, I will need to raise 80 ppm, which if in accordance to Red Sea guide, it will need to be raised slowly ... so 8 days Mg dosing ... this hasn't take effect on the depleted Mg throughout those 8 days.

Red Sea recommends max 10 ppm rise on daily basis (point #5 below); bigger than that, it claims that it might shock the corals (and the fish?).

ai.imgur.com_jVejdYi.jpg