Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Can John Guest Tube Be Straightened
Silly question I guess, but when you purchased JG line it usually comes off a roll and likes to stay coiled.

I want to drop the lines into the sump in nice straight runs. Is there any way to straighten the line so it sits nice and straight instead of trying to curl back into a roll?

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Could run it inside some rigid tubing...

I use those suction cups with the little clips to 'guide' them in a straight line, kind of annoying they like to come unstuck.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Could run it inside some rigid tubing...

I use those suction cups with the little clips to 'guide' them in a straight line, kind of annoying they like to come unstuck.
I was thinking of Nylon P Clips for mounting, but also want the line to "hang" straight.

Hmm suction cups sound OK but the issue is I want the line to be at a precise height in the sump - if the suction cup lets go and the line curls it will be higher.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
You could try soaking the tubing in boiling water and position it straight while it cools. It may still have a curl to it but it won't be as bad as it was off the roll
I did this for a ~30cm length of tube for my dosing pump and it worked well. I held the tube vertically and just poured the kettle down the tube, straightened right away.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
yeah I was going to say heat, but heat in the form of water will do the trick nicely
I wonder if it would make it easier for longer lengths if you held down both ends so the tube was straight and used a heat gun on it?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Alternatively, you can use acrylic tube which stays perfectly straight and can be bent nicely too:
Mate I love this.
I've had a look around for acrylic tube but coming up peanuts, where did you find yours?
The bends you made are quite neat to, did u have a bending tool and or use some heat?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I can't take credit for it, It's Brendan and Nicole's tank and either they or Dave at deer park put those lines together.

Either way, Dave sells the tube if your after some? It's easy to bend by hand with a little heat.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I can't take credit for it, It's Brendan and Nicole's tank and either they or Dave at deer park put those lines together.

Either way, Dave sells the tube if your after some? It's easy to bend by hand with a little heat.
Ah k, they did a good job!

Okay thanks, Im not sure deer park ships interstate?
I'll keep looking and hopefully find some. Thanks mate!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I can post you some, how much do you need?
Wow thanks mate very much appreciated, only if its not to much hassle.
Haven't measured up how much, wouldn't be a lot as they don't have to run far. What size lengths would they come in? At a guess I reckon I would need 2 meters.
Maybe 2x 1 meter lengths

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I can get you 2 1m lengths no worries, it's fairly cheap stuff too. Postage could be a bit tricky, but being so light it shouldn't cost much

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I can get you 2 1m lengths no worries, it's fairly cheap stuff too. Postage could be a bit tricky, but being so light it shouldn't cost much
Awesome that would be amazing.
No rush though, whenever you're able.
Whatever the cost is let me know and I'll pay into an account asap.
You're a legend.