Reef Discussion

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
Cant Raise [mg2+]!!!
Thanks in advance for reading this long post/giving advice.

I have been trying to raise my magnesium for quite some time now in my reef, moderately stocked with lps corals in the main. It's a 180 L (or so) system in total with a specific gravity of 1.026. The thing is, I haven't been able to raise my magnesium. I have changed 70% of the water within the last week, replacing it with NSW, and from there have added 70g of magnesion-p , by Brightwell Aquatics, directly into the sump where it dissolved, essentially not raising Mg.1g/3.785 L is supposed to raise [Mg2+] by 114 ppm. Other parameters: Alk 7.8-8 dKH, Ca 390 ppm with negligible amounts of nitrates and phosphates. Also, I am running a reactor with Tunze Silphos. I am also adding Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium and Red Sea Reef Foundation B, with the occasional dose of KZ amino acids. Calcium is also being a pain to raise. I understand that there is a complex relationship between the three foundation substances, but can't understand why the magnesium level is not rising, especially with the addition of lots of magnesium supplement. From what I can see, there is no MgCO3 precipitate, or others, so I don't know where this Mg that I'm adding is going. I've constantly got diatoms growing on the sand bed, no other algae though, which I believe is a result of a combination of lighting (which I've fixed with a vertex illumina) and low Mg, which I am trying to fix. A Vertex Omega 150 skimmer runs in the system as does carbon and a filter sock.

Any insights as to why I can't establish chemical stability within my tank would be greatly, greatly appreciated. It has been a long battle that is driving me crazy! Apologies for the long post...

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmmm mag has always been tough for me too, I just brute forced it with large dosing quantities. Can only assume something is consuming it as quickly as you are dosing it.

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
Initially when I did lower doses and nothing happened, I assumed the same thing. However, it should have raised by 150 ppm, which seems like an unrealistic consumption amount to me, which is why I am confused.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I found that it took a HEAP for my my to register any change from 1100ppm, but then once it started to bump up it only took a little from there.

I could be wrong, but I'd keep dosing more.
Sam

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
I guess that I will just have to bulk dose and see what happens from there. At least I know that it is not uncommon to dose heaps to raise Mg. A bit off topic but is it true that algae species, particularly diatoms, are less liable to grow in higher Mg levels?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Can't speak for diatoms, but I raised mag to fight some briopsis, but I believe it's actually the lithium in the mag mix that kills it :)

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
This is ridiculous! I finally managed to get the Mg up to 1400 ppm two days ago. I dissolved 25 g of supplement in ATO water, of which 5 L has been used over the last two days. I measured Mg today and it is back down to 1300 ppm. Calcium and Alk have remained fairly constant at 405 ppm and 8.5 dKH. I don't know what is happening, it doesn't seem reasonable. Could the diatoms be depleting the Mg for some reason?

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I have had this issue as well, all of a sudden my tank just started using a lot of Mg. For years Mg never worried me always got around 1290 whenever I tested it. Then it started using a lot and I had some issues and realised my Mg had dropped to 1100. I think I recall it needing about half a litre of the diy Mg supplement I use to get it back up to 1300. Since then I am doing 15ml per day and still having to make adjustment doses here and there.

Dosing pump helps a lot.

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
I think I will have to invest in a dosing pump. Getting a new system in about 6 moths so I want to get a pump that will cater for that as well. Although not really the appropriate place to ask, does anyone recommend a reliable, good quality dosing pump?

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I think Clams eat Mag for breakfast lunch and dinner. When I regretfully sold my Clam (to sam ) my mag addition halved...

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Although not really the appropriate place to ask, does anyone recommend a reliable, good quality dosing pump?
I have been using a Kamoer Dosing Pump since they first became available in Australia about 4 years ago - it has been working trouble free since then :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Pfft, y'all don't know what Mg use is. I use 17l/ week at the shop alone and I've got to up it yet again now that I'm holding corals. Triton is looking better and better all the time.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I'm with Lesley, I'm a bit of both. Only chase numbers when I notice something isn't right.

Just like motorsport, you have to have a baseline to go back to when things go wrong :)