Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Captive Bloody Bred Gramma Pair!
And now for the pièce de résistance!! :eek2:
I went and stopped by Dave's the other day for some top ups and maybe some goodies and boy did I score well!!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170120_165943_zpswhvw0wve.jpg

They're captive bred, they're gorgeous and they're all mine!!!!!!! lol They didn't even get the chance to be unbagged, I got them instantly hahaha

They've settled really well, happily eating like pigs and out and about :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Beautiful! One of my favourite fish.
Mind sharing how much a captive bread pair costs?
Mine too :) These guys were on my reefing bucket list so I'm over the moon about it still lol
Between $250-300 :) They've come down a decent amount since the initial release of $180 per single specimen :) Getting closer to the wild caught average of $110ea!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
BRB, boxing up all the Royal Grammas I can find, I could fund a trip to Oz with a few boxes and I wouldn't give it to you hard like that, lol. I pay $6.50 landed in the USA for them out of Haiti. Hell, I'd trade them for Assessors.

I'm glad there are several people breeding them. With the Lionfish scourge here, there's a damn good possibility of them becoming extinct in the wild.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
BRB, boxing up all the Royal Grammas I can find, I could fund a trip to Oz with a few boxes and I wouldn't give it to you hard like that, lol. I pay $6.50 landed in the USA for them out of Haiti. Hell, I'd trade them for Assessors.

I'm glad there are several people breeding them. With the Lionfish scourge here, there's a damn good possibility of them becoming extinct in the wild.
Oh yeah?!?! Well I only have to pay $145 for a Cleaner Shrimp! Bet you are jealous now huh! :cry

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You're killin' me Buddy, lol. I guess the prices aren't that different. Assessors are about $100USD so it evens out in the end. I hope you're screwing with me for that $145 for a cleaner, those are $7.25 landed here out of Sri Lanka. Now if I said they were from Australia, I could charge $50 for one and people would thank me for breaking it off in their hind parts like that. One example I can think of is Copperband butterflys, one out of Indo is about $30 retail, out of Australia $50-$60 and there's only a $5 difference in cost.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
You're killin' me Buddy, lol. I guess the prices aren't that different. Assessors are about $100USD so it evens out in the end. I hope you're screwing with me for that $145 for a cleaner, those are $7.25 landed here out of Sri Lanka. Now if I said they were from Australia, I could charge $50 for one and people would thank me for breaking it off in their hind parts like that. One example I can think of is Copperband butterflys, one out of Indo is about $30 retail, out of Australia $50-$60 and there's only a $5 difference in cost.
He ain't kidding about that cleaner shrimp. Imports are not allowed into Oz for inverts and the ones caught in Australian waters are caught in remote locations at deep depths that have to then be gradually raised in stages to the surface making it a timely exercise collecting them. The fact that only a few collectors put the effort in for them drives the price up

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
There's a guy over in SE Queensland that collects them. I don't know the legalities involved with that. He has said that Cleaner shrimp and ritteri anemones are moving further and further south every year to find cooler water.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
There's a guy over in SE Queensland that collects them. I don't know the legalities involved with that. He has said that Cleaner shrimp and ritteri anemones are moving further and further south every year to find cooler water.
With any luck i'll be able to find them off Perth in the next few years :D
But seriously that isn't the first example i have heard like that, the problem is that much of these waters are still temperate. They may be warmer for longer but not year round except in the odd year.
Bit troubling when you think about it

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We passed troubling back in the 90s mate and nobody seems to be able to do a damn thing about it except deny that it's happening or line their pockets with cash from fear mongering. Some of your children and their children will have a rough go of it, a VERY rough go of it.