Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Carbon
I was told no need to use carbon but now not sure this is correct ,i don't have a reactor was thinking of putting some in a bag in the sump, I have been reading about rox8, what are your thoughts on this.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi. So glad tank is doing well. I run carbon 24/7. I use seachem matrix carbon. Is fine to be placed in a media bag also. I've never heard of the one you speak off. Personally I would stick with a good quality black carbon. Some of the cheaper ones are made from brown waste carbon & some research suggests may be related to HELLE in tangs. They also release phosphates to a much larger degree than the good quality black carbons.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi. So glad tank is doing well. I run carbon 24/7. I use seachem matrix carbon. Is fine to be placed in a media bag also. I've never heard of the one you speak off. Personally I would stick with a good quality black carbon. Some of the cheaper ones are made from brown waste carbon & some research suggests may be related to HELLE in tangs. They also release phosphates to a much larger degree than the good quality black carbons.
thanks Lesley

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
I use chemi pure elite in my nano and it works a charm. It removes both nitrates and phosphates and is now my only source of filtration. Works wonders in my opinion

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I use chemi pure elite in my nano and it works a charm. It removes both nitrates and phosphates and is now my only source of filtration. Works wonders in my opinion
I am curious. Do you have any fish ? Do you also change water ?

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I've always used carbon more as a prophylactic than anything else. The thing with carbon is to remember to throw it out after a day or so as it will release back into the tank.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I've always used carbon more as a prophylactic than anything else. The thing with carbon is to remember to throw it out after a day or so as it will release back into the tank.
I don't know about other carbons but seachem carbon , once exhausted will not remove anything further from the tank but I am 100% sure it won't leach anything back in.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've only started using carbon this year, but then I had a low bioload for the majority of my reefing life so water changes alone were enough to manage everything. Carbon definitely reduces dissolved organics in the water (what makes the water look yellow). I don't really believe its necessary for coral warfare between soft corals though, just my opinion.

I'm using this carbon from K and J - doesn't need much rinsing.
http://k-j-aquatics.myshopify.com/products/activated-carbon-per-kilo

After watching this vid:
I decided it would be better to have my carbon somewhere where water is actually pumped through it rather than having it in a media bag so I just bought a Sicce Shark filter rather than buy a reactor because it suited my set up better and the cost was good.