Reef Discussion

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
unfortunately due to space constraints in the sump i have a space saving reactor..

http://www.bubble-magus.com/productinfo.aspx?id=504

Unless I can find a tiny DC Pump to fit and dial down the flow I am stuck.

I tried to find a DC one but couldn't get it shipped to AUS or it wasn't available for purchase yet, can't remember the problem, it was a few months ago, and now I cant find the link online.. it had a Reef Octopus Space Saver pump like in the SSS series skimmers

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/me...e35df139433887a97daa66f/e/l/elitesss_pov2.jpg

one of these would be good, except its hideously expensive, and no way of shipping to aus i think.

http://www.genio-systems.com/shop/genio-media-reactor/genio-media-move-100-dc/

Anyway first world problems.

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Can you put a tap on the outlet? That should slow flow through the reactor by crating head pressure and limiting the pump.

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Or.... it may make them tumble faster as the pump circulates everything in the reactor more before it exits..... but for a $3 tap its probably worth a try

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
i dont have an adjustable speed pump on the reactor... so my flow is kind of fast, maybe thats why my phos is slightly up..

I'll do a mix and match anyway when its change over time.

i put 2x 310g bags in my 350L, its supposed to do 275l each, hasn't had any side effects.
My blue tang has sores on him may be from chemi-pure

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
My blue tang has sores on him may be from chemi-pure
Chemi Pure is a filtration media, no different using any other carbon, purigen, GFO, or similar, just an all in one options. Not sure this would cause sores or any other disease???

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Chemi Pure is a filtration media, no different using any other carbon, purigen, GFO, or similar, just an all in one options. Not sure this would cause sores or any other disease???
is carbon linked to HLLE in some fish, and have been told blue tangs have a more sensitive skin, would like to keep using chemi-pure but just not sure

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
is carbon linked to HLLE in some fish, and have been told blue tangs have a more sensitive skin, would like to keep using chemi-pure but just not sure
LOTS of people run carbon in reactors, and far more than in Chemi Pure, i cant see this having any effect. Carbon does strip water, so vitamins etc. may be low and therefore cause it, but that would probably mean something else if off also. I've not heard of carbon causing any issues for fish in reef tanks, its a very widely used filtration media and all sized tanks with even the most sensitive (and expensive) fish.

I wouldnt blame the Chemi Pure straight out, something else may have stressed the fish, or there may be a general lack of vitamins etc, but cant say for sure. HLLE can be caused by a LOT of things, and none of them are really a certainty (correct me if im wrong here). From what i can tell, stress etc. is one of the main causes.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
LOTS of people run carbon in reactors, and far more than in Chemi Pure, i cant see this having any effect. Carbon does strip water, so vitamins etc. may be low and therefore cause it, but that would probably mean something else if off also. I've not heard of carbon causing any issues for fish in reef tanks, its a very widely used filtration media and all sized tanks with even the most sensitive (and expensive) fish.

I wouldnt blame the Chemi Pure straight out, something else may have stressed the fish, or there may be a general lack of vitamins etc, but cant say for sure. HLLE can be caused by a LOT of things, and none of them are really a certainty (correct me if im wrong here). From what i can tell, stress etc. is one of the main causes.

Magicj and a few other people say that there is a link between HLLE and carbon and some like yourself say no

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
Most of the issues with Carbon causing HLLE I have read about refer to striping vitamins etc, as I mentioned in my last post, Chemi pure has a VERY small amount in it, all im saying is I wouldn't blame just the chemi pure, there may be something else going on ie. stress.

Before blaming one thing I'd do a little more research on its causes, and see if any other factors match your tank and circumstances. If it is the chemi pure, then remove it, but its a very small amount of each filtration media, and if you have sized the correct bag for your tanks, there should be no ill effects.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Most of the issues with Carbon causing HLLE I have read about refer to striping vitamins etc, as I mentioned in my last post, Chemi pure has a VERY small amount in it, all im saying is I wouldn't blame just the chemi pure, there may be something else going on ie. stress.

Before blaming one thing I'd do a little more research on its causes, and see if any other factors match your tank and circumstances. If it is the chemi pure, then remove it, but its a very small amount of each filtration media, and if you have sized the correct bag for your tanks, there should be no ill effects.
thanks, I am thinking of putting 1 of the 2 bags back in and see how I go

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
What size is the aquarium? The small bags are suited to 150lt, and the large 300ltr (from memory) I'm using a small in my 120ltr, and a large in my 180ltr freshwater.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I am running CPB with captive W phos from continuum, the continuum product exhausts a lot quicker then the CPB, the packaging recommends changing CPB every 2 months, between the WPHos & my sponges in the reactor clogging up every 2 weeks I am having to do maintenance, so it is ok to just wash the bag(s) of CPB in tap water to get any of the muck off the netting while i clean out my reactor and then throw it back in? or should i just do a full change out? - this might get expensive doing 2 bags every fortnight...

I realise its cheaper to buy GFO and Purigen and put it in the reactor myself, if this is going to long term be easier on maintenance but since i've only had these bags of CPB for about 3/4 weeks i'd like to get my $ worth.

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
I've taken my CPB out of my reactor for the moment, in order to get more flow through it i now have it on top of my return pump, once my Captive Phos is done i'll throw it back in. If you want to clean the bag off i'd get a small bowl / bucket of RO and just give it a rinse and clean it that way, but it shouldnt really impact the CPB having gunk on the bag, water will still pass through pretty well (unless its totally clogged, in which case it might be a good idea to see why there is so much gunk running through the reactor

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I was running a pretty fine foam pad because the original ones disintegrated and i couldn't match like for like so they are picking up a lot of crap