Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Chiller Help/advice
Hey everyone :)

Today it being super freaking hot in Sydney thought I'd check my tank temperature- it's crept up by like 1.5 to 2 degrees

Is 2 degrees too much for a tank to rise during the day - assuming how temperamental everything else is to do with reef tanks I'm assuming yes...

Just hoping to get some advice either on what chiller to get or what i can try seeing as it's only a small change in temperature

Seeing as I'm on the budget fish street run is their chiller any good? Or do I even need a chiller could i just run a couple of extractor fans on top of the tank?
http://www.fish-street.com/resun_mini20_chiller_au_delivery

Any tips appreciated

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Adam. I wouldn't buy it from fish-street. I just had a pump fail after 1 year and was told bad luck cause warranty is only for 3 months. I have had 2 Hailea chillers both have served me well (with the help of a temperature controller) If they are more than your budget allows then look for a second hand one. Also try and buy on that's overrated for your tank.
Good luck

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
For these do you have to buy the temperature controller and another pump?

Tanks up to almost 30 degrees today so I've turned the lights off and put a fan on next to it to try cool it down some

Like i gotta do whatever to start to cool things down so not crazy fussed on price if its something that will last and manage itself

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Thanks for the offer Franklin, I ended up going for a brand new one bought a couple of other second hand stuff when I was starting up and had some bad luck.

Summers almost over now so I could probably have waited but I figure best to get it asap to be safe

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I set up my chiller over the weekend (hopefully it was in time) I had some minor bleaching on one of my SPS and I'm pretty sure the acro frag I got has fully bleached out.

With the chiller everything should be as stable as I can get things for the moment

At the moment it's got a half ass set up just to keep things cool where it just a straight loop out of the display tank with the pump sitting in there

Just wondering how people have theirs plumbed in? I was thinking i could replace my return pump with the chiller pump and just run it all through there. Rather than running the 2 pumps? Not sure what the recommended way is