Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Chiller Question
Hi all .
I am constantly thinking about the new build . Sad i know.
i have been considering running the chiller about 10 meters away under the house in a storage room.

Dose anyone run one this far away?
Tips anyone?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Seems ideal to me to keep all of the noise and heat blowing in to a storage room instead of the fish room. Might need a decent pump though.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Thanks Luke ,
The pump is something that has been playing on my mind.
I figure the Chiller's flow is rated from 1500lph up to 4000lph .I think I will put a 4000lph . I am too scared to go above that.
I suspect I will lose a fair amount of flow with the distance , I hope that it wont be more of a loss than 2500lph.
also thinking of putting an external pump next to the chiller but I am worried that if it leaks it could ruin me .

Do you think a pump that size placed in the sump will do the job?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
It will sit on a bench about 1 meter below the tank.
Good idea with the controllable pump that way i could always ramp it up if needed.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yep controllable pump is the go. Problem is, controllable pumps that can run externally get expensive.

As for the concern of leaks, you could setup a leak alarm or even a low sump level alarm?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
nope. That's what pumps do, move water from a to b.

I'd insulate the pipe back from the chiller if the area could get warm/cold though

Not sure of your budget but this link has some tried and tested pumps from Fish street. The Jebao range has been used by me for almost two years now and going just fine. The new DCS pumps are far far more quieter than the DCT pumps they initially released. Take a look. Its super affordable and I can definitely vouch for the fact that the DCS pump are very very quiet. Great control and great head pressure too. Be sure to order from the Aus warehouse if you do order. That way you will save again on postage. I have three of these DC pumps of which two are the DCS pumps. @daveH also has a DCS and trust me Dave likes it quiet...

http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dctdcs_water_return_pump

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I wouldn't run one of those externally and trust my entire system on it... Just me though, me and my hate relationship with jebao.

I'd be looking at a RE RD3 speedy pump

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Thanks @somethingfishy76 I actually have one set aside.
it was going to be my back up for my return pump.
it is the DCT6000. I might use that but as a safety precaution I will place it inside the sump.

Sorry @Sam Parker appreciate your thoughts however considering I have one that's never been used I might as well use it.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just from my experience I have had a DC12000 as my return running for about 2.5 years non stop now and has never missed a beat. I have also had a DCT6000 running in my skimmer for about a year and also hasn't missed a beat. I think there was a bad batch of pumps when they were first released and that is where they get a bad name. Both pumps are nice and quiet compared to my old Laguna and Eheim pumps.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yup that is the newer one! It will be interesting to see if 6000 is enough.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Please check the flow from the pump and the salinity often. Regardless of which pumps you use. An external pump in a location you don't see often is high risk. I know everything is a risk, so it's just a matter of dealing with it to the best of your ability