Off-Topic

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Christmas pudding!!
Is their anyone here that still make's their own honest to god home made Christmas pudding? Jen made one today that's still boiling away till about midnight I'm told. Then we still have to hang it to dry out and mature until Christmas day, then cook it again for another hour and a half on the day!
It's her family tradition and this will be the second year Jen has performed a "job well done" since taking on the roll of family pudding maker, lol.

So who still makes their own?? or do you just buy one each year??

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My wifes granma makes hers in july... and it sits and soaks in brandy for months until she cooks it on xmas day. Its the best but she doesnt put old coins in it like my gran used to (that made for a surprise if you didn't chew properly!)

Care to share your recipe? I have never made one but would like to give it a try and maybe try and start a tradition.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
We don't really worry about Christmas pudding, but a tradition is trifle - the way my late grandmother used to make it. Took me a long time to convince mum to make it, and in the end, we went with what we remembered of the process. I had to take care of the sherry - mum can't drink, and the recipe as we recalled for the trifle was one of the trifle, one for me, one for the trifle, two for me, etc, until some random variable, such as running out of plonk occurs, then you carry on with the rest of it, and top it off with jelly squares - put in on an angle to make them look like diamonds. Glad it takes two days get to that... would have been tough doing that straight after the sherry!

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Sir Psycho Sexy - I love the way you count man! You work for the Tax Man? "1 for you 2 for me, 1 for you 3 for me......."

VaultBoy - Got to have the coin's! That's half the fun. Jen still use's the little six pence, my family had 1 only 50 cent coin, who ever got that at Christmas lunch had good luck for the rest of the year. Never did get it lol. Will have to see Jen, don't know if the recipe is top secret, don't think so.

V

'vspec'

Quite funny responses. ;)

Yeah we were the same, swapped it for trifle. Like a whole bowl of wrong and deliciously ugly. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Just for you VaultBoy, keep it a secret and keep the tradition alive. :D

Jen's Family Christmas Pudding
Should be made 3 - 4 months before Christmas Day.
You will need:

• Calico Cloth approx 80cm x 80 cm

• 15 - 20 ltr boiling pot

• BIG mixing Basin

• Strong Wooden spoons

• Cooking string/twine
Ingredients:
1kg Mixed Fruit, 250g Chopped Dates, 250g Chopped Raisins, 1 cup White Sugar, 1 cup Brown Sugar lightly packed, 250g Butter, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons Bi-carbonate soda, 3 eggs, 2 cups plain flour, 2 cups Salt Raising Flour, 2 Teaspoons mixed spice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup Rum.

Method:
Put in a large saucepan the Mixed fruit, chopped dates, chopped raisins, sugars, butter, salt and water. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted; bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, add the Bi-carbonate soda and mix well. Set aside and allow the mixture to become completely cold.
Whilst the Pudding mix is cooling, place the Calico cloth in a decent size saucepan and boil for 30min. Don't remove from the boiling water until just before you are ready to use it! Boil your coins at this time too, 15 -20 mins will be fine. ( Only if you are going to use them)
Once the Pudding Mix has cooled, beat eggs and Rum until combined. Add egg mixture, sifted flours, mixed spice and cinnamon to the fruit mixture; mix well (this is why you'll need strong wooden spoons, it does get tough to mix!) Throw your coins in at this time too.
Once everything is mixed well, spread the Calico cloth out on a even surface and sprinkle with flour, this will stop the pudding sticking to the cloth. Pour the Pudding mix into the center of the cloth, bring the sides of the cloth up around the pudding and tie around the top of the pudding with the string/twine TIGHTLY!, you don't want the pudding to leak out whist it is cooking. Boil the pudding rapidly for 6 HOURS . Do remember to check on it every now and then, and replenish the evaporated water.
Once done, find a cool, well ventilated place to hang your pudding, this helps the flavors and texture develop. Make sure you keep the top of the cloth off the pudding whilst hanging, doing this will make sure the cloth and string dries out and doesn't go mouldy - that would be the last thing you want, mouldy Pudding!
Check your pudding every so often during the hanging period, just to make sure all is well and there is no mould growing on it. Mould = inedible pudding!
On the day, put your Pudding back into the Boiler Pot and boil for at least 1 1/2 hours. When you are ready to serve, take it out of the Pot, cut the string and peel the cloth off the pudding. Slice it any way you like, wedges work for my family. Serve it with Cream, Ice -cream, Custard, Brandy Custard, or even Brandy Butter.
Let me just say, nothing gives you greater Satisfaction and pride to see everyone sitting down and enjoying the pudding you made. The smiles of their faces and the MMM's you hear around the table makes it all worth while!

Jenny H

V

'vspec'

You have just added a heap of ingredients to this weeks shopping list and gave me a job for next weekend!
I can show you the over grown back yard as well if your free the following weekend yeah! ;)

Great effort on the recipe, If others go head to head in a cook-off, let me know. Im always down for placing a few bets on how can produce the goods.

Although if you scroll the page too quick, you get Ingredient, Method, TIGHTLY! and 6 Hours
My mind wandered for a sec..lol

V

'vspec'

Once again, thats surely where the Russian brides kick in. *whip cracking sounds emanates in the background*

V

'vspec'

Your a sick ......sick man!
Now all of a sudden that trifle has new meaning for christmas ~ Thanks!