News

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Microwave might have some effect, though I suspect you'll blow the shit out of the microwave before then. Fish tank is pointless. You'll only bugger outer electronics.. eventually. All the data is stored in the airtight so probably water tight bit, so fish tank won't help.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
wack it on a sub going full tit, run it over with a car, then sub it again... should be interesting to see what they could get off a hard drive. Maybe fragments of code but not much else.

Still the law was passed when it shouldn't have. Freedom of speech has almost died (Come on Anonymous, time to get nasty...).

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
hmmm chisel and hammer? hdd's arnt air tight! they have the hole to relieve pressure
Only some have those holes. A lot of HDDs don't (and I've been looking at HDDs since before you were born :D )
Never tried the filters over those holes on the ones that do - they need to block really fine particles (which is why they've traditionally been sealed), which is why major data recovery is done in air tight rooms as any contaminates will cause damage to the platters.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
wack it on a sub going full tit, run it over with a car, then sub it again... should be interesting to see what they could get off a hard drive. Maybe fragments of code but not much else.

Still the law was passed when it shouldn't have. Freedom of speech has almost died (Come on Anonymous, time to get nasty...).
Hi rockerpeller,

Anonymous is not a private army for the people of the world. If you would like to see change, you must go out and try and make a difference. The few can not carry the many. Though, the few control the many at this point in time.

Everyone needs to make a stand.

Thanks.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
If I could do some serious damage to this law I would. If they don't want to listen to a seriously supported petition, what good can I do short of learning to hack, and do some really big damage myself?
With this law passed everyone may not have any option but to learn bypasses, loopholes, and backdoor gateways to get anything that isn't in the "best interest" of these governments.

(I'm really leaning towards hacking though lol ;) )highlight

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
ah. My mistake - I am used to most people not knowing what I am referencing so have a habit of pointing out stuff for others benefit which can annoy people who not only know the reference but use it also
Meanwhile, someone's handed me this red pill and this blue pill and said I have to take one - what happens if I take them both at once??
*figures brain will implode*

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
ah. My mistake - I am used to most people not knowing what I am referencing so have a habit of pointing out stuff for others benefit which can annoy people who not only know the reference but use it also
Meanwhile, someone's handed me this red pill and this blue pill and said I have to take one - what happens if I take them both at once??
*figures brain will implode*
Haha, it's all good. I tend to be in the same boat, so it's kinda amusing when others know what I'm rambling on about :D

The pills, ah the pills. Choose wisely, because you only get to choose once. I don't know about that blue one, but I took the red one some time ago. Do not take both at once. The result will be worse than Googling "google".

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
googling "google"...now there's a passtime for a boring evening
at the risk of revealing my non-tech, cyber-stupid self, what does CISPA mean for the likes of me? I have to start editing and monitoring the content of my FB page and email account? Authorities can listen in to my Skype conversations? I can be jailed for expressing a view contrary to the current official thinking? all of the above?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The biggest risk at the beginning is privacy. You now have none. The US government will have the right to acquire information on any individual that it decides may be some type of cyber terror threat without any form of judicial process between it wanting the information, and receiving it. The fact that most of the world use US based/owned systems, like Facebook, this means that the US government has access to this information.

Down the track, it's easy to see how say a movie company trying to prosecute can argue that the government has access to information they need as part of their case, so nothing stops their courts from requiring their government to provide information that previously may not have been available.

Complicate it further and say perhaps they decide that one of us is a cyber threat because we disagree with their government, and perhaps because we have above average computing skills - we live in a country that has extradition treaties with them, so they can request us to be extradited on the basis of flimsy evidence that they have no context of. All this without a judicial process in place that might have stopped it from happening in the first place. Just a secretive government organisation that has powers to hold us without charge for long periods of time while it uses its new powers to relieve us of our privacy and twist and turn details of our lives to suit their own charge against us.

What it looks like on the face of it is nothing compared to what this can become. They have a fairly loose definition of what is a cyber threat. Anonymous have been labelled as cyber terrorists, despite the fact that a large proportion of Anonymous couldn't hack themselves out of a paperbag with a machete. A large chunk of that group won't have even tried. It wasn't that long ago that Anonymous were more notorious for protesting out the front of the Church of Scientology buildings, and for taking them on.
Most of them aren't cyber terrorists - they're just individuals who want to make the world right, to fix the wrongs, and know that strength comes in numbers.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
If I could do some serious damage to this law I would. If they don't want to listen to a seriously supported petition, what good can I do short of learning to hack, and do some really big damage myself?
With this law passed everyone may not have any option but to learn bypasses, loopholes, and backdoor gateways to get anything that isn't in the "best interest" of these governments.

(I'm really leaning towards hacking though lol ;) )highlight
No, you can not encrypt, bypass, find loopholes or backdoor gateways. This is a CISPA violation, and if you are an American citizen it can land you in jail with a massive fine. This means if you encrypt data, it is possible for them to arrest you.

If you want to help, spread the word. Protest whenever you can. Support caused such as the links posted above. A new site is about to launch, and it is going to need people to spread the word, to get people to wake up, you can help spread the news. That is how you help. Not by hacking, or anything like that.

Thanks.