Reef Discussion

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Hi Susan,
what are you trying to achieve?
Most water clarity issues are easily solved with good quality Granulate Activated Carbon (GAC).

I never heard of Seachem Clairty, but there is plenty of negative reviews in freshwater forums...

I am fan of Seachem products because they specify their composition, which most brands don't, but unfortunatelly I couldn't find it for Clarity. So, I can't comment from the chemestry point of view.

Having that said, I would stay away from it and explore a product with proven record in marine tanks.

There are other floculants available on the market. I have experience with KZ Coral Snow and more recently with its DIY version (CaCO3) and while it didn't harm anything, I haven't noticed any significant improvement in water clarity nor in reducing particulates in the water column.
On the other hand, people swear by its ability to remove cyano bacteria.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi Susan,
what are you trying to achieve?
Most water clarity issues are easily solved with good quality Granulate Activated Carbon (GAC).

I never heard of Seachem Clairty, but there is plenty of negative reviews in freshwater forums...

I am fan of Seachem products because they specify their composition, which most brands don't, but unfortunatelly I couldn't find it for Clarity. So, I can't comment from the chemestry point of view.

Having that said, I would stay away from it and explore a product with proven record in marine tanks.

There are other floculants available on the market. I have experience with KZ Coral Snow and more recently with its DIY version (CaCO3) and while it didn't harm anything, I haven't noticed any significant improvement in water clarity nor in reducing particulates in the water column.
On the other hand, people swear by its ability to remove cyano bacteria.
Thanks for that