Tank Journal Archive

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Clean Up Crew
So my tank does not yet have one and I don't really know what to get and how much of them. Any suggestions on snail types and how many for a 30L would be muchly appreciated :)

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
I've got a 50l and started with the following:

3x Turbo's
2x Nassarius
1x Trochus

Did a great job for me.

Moved the trochus on as it was forever knocking things over (it was huge).

Picked up some Stomatella's as hitch hikers and they have now multiplied to about 6 or 7 (from 3).

If I was to change anything or add more, it would be a Cerith or two.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just grab some turbo snails initially, half a dozen should be good.

And if you find a friendly fellow reefer, see if you can get some bristle worms, stomatella, mysid shrimp, etc - everything helps towards a healthy tank ;)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@Oceanarium has paper snails, mini brittle starfish, mysis
Hit @NiCd up and see if he has any clean up crew for sale at the mo - turbo snails, ceriths etc.
@Dr. Schell may have some things for you as well such as dog whelks

It's worth asking around :)

From LFS if they have them: I'm quite partial to dwarf yellow tipped hermit crabs. They look like this:

hermit.jpg

I find the light brown microhermits hard to keep personally and some of the bigger types are a nuisance. Whereas these are sweet little things that will grab some of the food when you are feeding the tank. Some hermits will overgraze your rocks but I find these guys good. I had two in a tank your size.

A saron or peppermint shrimp would make a nice addition as well.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You need at least 2 of everything in order for them to breed, and its better to have a small group in case something happens to any of them.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
A
Just grab some turbo snails initially, half a dozen should be good.

And if you find a friendly fellow reefer, see if you can get some bristle worms, stomatella, mysid shrimp, etc - everything helps towards a healthy tank ;)
Thanks :) My live rock apparently has plenty of worms in it (thats what the person my friend bought it off said) and has lots of macro stars on it

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Thankyou. Was p
You need at least 2 of everything in order for them to breed, and its better to have a small group in case something happens to any of them.
Probably gonna be getting the turbos off oceanarium. Thanks for the tip about the paper snails, will probably get some of them too. And also was thinking of eventually getting a peppermint shrimp, mainly to overcome the possible/nearly unavoidable chance of getting aptasia. Thanks also about contacts to hit up :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
be careful with peppermints if you plan of keeping zoa's they can be a bit funny with them. In a nano you should be able to manage aptasia pretty easy

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
be careful with peppermints if you plan of keeping zoa's they can be a bit funny with them. In a nano you should be able to manage aptasia pretty easy
Did not know that, thanks for that :). But hopefully I'll be able to manage it then.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Aiptasia are only a problem for some, just cross that bridge when you get there and in the meantime if you see the odd one remove them.