Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Clean Up Crew
Hey all I was wondering if anyone in south east Melbourne or melbourne would consider donating me any clean up crew once my tanks cycled. I was thinking things like snails and worms and any bristle stars

I only ask as I have started my tank with dry rock and not live rock, if not anyone know were I could buy that type of Stuff.

I know aquariums sell nice starfish. Snails and stuff but never worms or bristle star fish for cleaning sand.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
A little trick for getting that kind of stuff is to ask your LFS when they are getting their next batch of LR in and ask them to put aside the rubble they normally throw out in the bottom of the boxes.

Use this to seed your tank by placing it in a corner away from your rock so you can pull it out after a few weeks.

You will end up will all manner of brittle stars, pods, bacteria etc and because of its fine size you can generally filter out any crabs etc by hand on the way in.

For Snails it is usually best to be very specific about the varieties you bring in and to purchase these separately once everything has cycled.

Last edited:

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
A little trick for getting that kind of stuff is to ask your LFS when they are getting their next batch of LR in and ask them to put aside the rubble they normally throw out in the bottom of the boxes.

Use this to see your tank by placing it in a corner away from your rock so you can pull it out after a few weeks.

You will end up will all manager of brittle stars, pods, bacteria etc and because of its fine size you can generally filter out any crabs etc by hand on the way in.

For Snails it is usually best to be very specific about the varieties you bring in and to purchase these separately once everything has cycled.
Thank you so much. I'll talk to aquarium Wednesday when I go down.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
In no time you'll have favourable and unfavourable things in there.

For your tank size I would buy one single Strombus. Every tank should have a Strombus.