Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Cleaning Tank
Hi, this may be a stupid question, but do you need to pull the pipes apart , like return pipe and such, to clean them, i was wondering if they get a build up of stuff in them and slow down the turn over of the water

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I find that just by switching the pump off and on now and then, it flushes out most crap. Doesn't stop it building up though, so I guess after many years you could have to clean them out or replace them.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
I used to have a clear hose going from my pump to my DT return pipe - only thing I could find easily that fit when I first set up this tank and I was impatient to get it wet. :)

I had a fuge in the sump --> fuge light spill onto clear hose for a few hours each night --> after a few months, algae growing in the tube (ironically the only non-intentional algae in my system) --> realised it was there too late for Sam's stop/start method to have any visible effect --> eventually swapped tube out and this time covered the tube with black duct tape to keep the light out.

Have only checked it once in the last year, but it is remaining pretty free this time around.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for that, one tanks is just over 2 years old and the other is 8 months, so guess they should be ok for now