Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Clip-on Light For Macro
What's the best clip on light out there in AUS market, to grow macro algae in the sump?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
What's the best clip on light out there in AUS market, to grow macro algae in the sump?
When I used to grow macro, I just used one of these with a warm white globe. I was having to give/throw away macro every couple of weeks as it grew.

If you want something more expensive then you could get this.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
When I used to grow macro, I just used one of these with a warm white globe. I was having to give/throw away macro every couple of weeks as it grew.
That is just perfect @Buddy ! thanks!

It's handy to have a light clip on, every time I work on my sump and potentially growing Macro.

Good news that the cheap warm white globe works for you!!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just make sure the globe is high enough that no water can touch it, like when micro bubbles pop at the surface and splash a tiny bit.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
If it's just for macro you only need a warm white globe, specifically one around 6500 Kelvin aka warm white. Or you can get an led which is cheaper to run.

E

ezza

If you want something more expensive then you could get this.
i wouldn't put anything electrical from Kmart near my aquarium. they have extremely shoddy products. they manufacture goods to be as cheap as possible, in sweatshops, no less. I wouldn't risk it being near water.

I can't guarantee its providence at all, but I did buy an outdoor (i.e. supposedly resistant to weather) plug in Par 38 floodlight from Bunnings. I screwed it into the frame of my cabinet, which is metal. It's got a good rubber seal around the globe and has withstood the sump so far. I fear more being electrocuted by the skimmer than I do the lamp. My internet is failing tonight, sorry I can't paste the model in atm.

oh! and sorry, i did have a clip on aquarium light for the fuge but it died from being too exposed because even though it should have been fine and was sold in a pet shop, it was still shit. so go with the products that are designed to attach to houses and work in your backyard. they will do the job. if all else fails, duct tape it.