Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Clownfish Un-pairing
Anyone ever had an issue where the smaller clownfish kicks the bigger one out of the host coral then chases it around the tank relentlessly?

Originally the 2 clowns I have had a marked size difference, now they seem to be about the same size and the previously smaller one is terrorising the larger (female?) one.

Can they both turn female?
Will they kill each other?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
That is common amongst juveniles. How old are they?
If they are male and female: the male could be turning female and they will fight most likely until one dies. I don't think this is common, but I can't see a reason for it not to happen.

If they are both males(juveniles): One of the males is turning female and aggression will continue until they establish an hierarchical relationship. This aggression is enough to kill one of them in captivity and separating them is encouraged.
Try to keep the isolated one at sight, so the bonding process continues without physical contact.

Also, when they reach sexual maturity, there is a period in wich they look like fighting, but it is just the mating ritual. The male wouldn't grow to the size of the female, though.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
alright i'll get a little net box again and magnet it to the top corner of the tank then and keep them away like that.

lets see if that helps.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
they where sold as a mated pair, i'd say they had been about 1yr old? but can not confirm.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would like to see a picture.

I understood that provided the hierarchy was maintained then a male would not transform to a female.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
hard to get one of them together now, the one is in the far corner of the tank away from the coral she was hosting, the other one comes to chase it around a bit now and then.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
yeah thats just the shit they use to sell you these things and buttrape prices...

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
They don't need to lay eggs to be a mated pair and it will only happens after they become adults, which can take years. Mating takes days or hours some times.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Ok so after a couple of days at opposite ends of the tank I walked in this morning to see them fighting in the Goni.

I know its hard to see but they are now both the same size after there was a clear distinction in size when I bought them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpaqbbmntwm77zz/IMG_1888.m4v?dl=0

This went on for a while before I had to go to work.

Will try move the Goni to another part of the tank tonight and see what happens but the once smaller clown now chases the formerly larger one around the tank actively seeking it out to pick on.

you'll want to minimise that video as much as possible to get a decent resolution.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Fighting like cats and dogs at the moment, the smaller one is relentless in his attack.

And then, they stop and both jitter, then they take turns jittering, then the smaller one is relentless with his attack for a few minutes.

Weird.

I might end up putting the bigger one thats getting bullied into the 525XL

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
They are really fighting. I would certainly cage the least aggressive and sight, so they can have a chance to bonding again, without killing each other first.