Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
No but ive seen them at slippery little suckers and aquaristic, they do look damn sexy! I think they also came in the top 4 in the reefbuilders popular LED comp, shame we done see now of them in australia.

Would be cool if you could do a write up on them once they are to hand!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
George from SLS posted a string of photos last week. You needed to use your imagination to see growth, basic SPS were all brown.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I think alot of the point was missed in the thread though. He was commenitng on the growth size wise, whereas everyone just kept banging on about the colours. While the growth was not making you fall off your chair, the pictures did no justice. I go to SLS regularly and they have come on quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents, I have researched a fair bit and these, for me, are a fantastic unit

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
He has some really nice planted set ups but i really dont think reefing is his forte or customer service for that matter.

I tried getting pricing on a full ADA medium set up for work,i had $2k set aside and wanted it ASAP for and after 2 months of ringing them minimum once a week i gave up and ended up using my azoo mini tank i got from Az a few years back and some stuff from guppies. I ended up with a "similar" effect (co2, high powered lights, soil etc) for $150. He must throw away alot of sales as i doubt many people would have put in anywhere near as much effort trying and waiting as I did.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think alot of the point was missed in the thread though. He was commenitng on the growth size wise, whereas everyone just kept banging on about the colours. While the growth was not making you fall off your chair, the pictures did no justice. I go to SLS regularly and they have come on quite a bit.

Just my 2 cents, I have researched a fair bit and these, for me, are a fantastic unit
My bet is that the colours have more to do with his water parameters than the lights, that crapped HOB turbo floater skimmer dosnt look like it does much.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i do like the look of the max specs. it allways interested me that you could keep adding panels

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
see I feel the exact opposite. I do not go anywhere else. He is always contactable via forums, phone or email. Has given me heaps of advice and not once tried to rip me off. In my opinion he is the best lfs in Sydney. I mean compare him to Majestic, all they do is try to sell you whatever they have the most stock of, regardless if you need it or not.

Does anyone have a decent comparrison of the LED's. maxspect/illumagic/vortex?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
ok, sorry for all the Q's. Its just a did a fair bit of research and the maxspect came up on top. But I dont just want to throw a grand at it and find I missed something. If you have time, can you tell methe main reason you think the maxspect is no good compared to the Illumagic? Like a technical reason, not just a preference?

Sorry again for all the questions

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
for me alot is in the design and light output
to me the illumagics are alot nicer looking unit. as i use rimless tanks you dont want an ugly light hanging over the tank. the acrylic legs look nice and modern to. with an excellent hanging kit.
im yet to find a light that puts out the crispness that the new illumagics put out. i think this is due to their silicon optics that resemble a contact lens, rather then using cheap reflectors the illumagic lens actually concentrate the light and give it a cleaner overall look.
if i wasn't using an illumagic i would be using a vertex,