Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
ok, sorry for all the Q's. it's just a did a fair bit of research and the maxspect came up on top. But I dont just want to throw a grand at it and find I missed something. If you have time, can you tell methe main reason you think the maxspect is no good compared to the Illumagic? Like a technical reason, not just a preference?

Sorry again for all the questions
I guess firstly let us know which unit you are getting with how many pads and how much its costing you. We can crap on about the bin lots not being sorted and the varations in the spectrum etc but lets see how they stack up on the basics first up.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
thanks matt. my main +'s for the Mazspect was:
Ball joints so I can point them exaclty where I want.
Wireless control so I can set things exactly how I want as well as an LCD on the unit.
Ability to upgrade when I get my bigger tank, I dont need to sell this and get a bigger one, I can just extend it and get another 2-3 units.
Fully customisable LED's that are plug and play.

Plus, as I said I have been going to George for a very long time now and not once has he steered me wrong, he fully puts his name to this unit and that holds weight with me.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Heatsinks and thermal management. MS have the potential to be driven hard, but then they leave it to the user to decide what temp the fan turns on. The most important thing with led is to get the heat away from the LEDs

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
So i guess you would compare it to the basic 600mm blaze version Nils? what is the rough pricing on those?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
cant find much info about pricing online. In the US they are going for $970US but doesnt really mean alot here. And I am not sure if they come with the mouting kit or if it is additional

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
slin1977 is the Australian distributor for them, he should be able to give you all the specs and sales pitch on them.

They are a top end fitting though so may end up more pricey that the maxspect so thought it would be starting point for comparison

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
ok great. Happy to look at options. I dont think I am going to go for a unit that cannot be added to though. Not going to pay out for a unit that will be redundant to me in 18 months.

I am still trying to find some actual proof that its a better unit, I appreciate all the help but so far it has just been that people like the look of the unit, and they feel the light is better etc. I would like some specs as to why. A massive concern is that there is extremely little info available, if you go to maxpects website it gives you all you need to know in black and white, makes me feel safer buying it

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah that is fair enough, go with what you are comfortable with. might also be worth looking at the Radion then, start off with one now and run 2-3 one the 5x2. If you are running a hood on the new tank you could get any 2 foot light fixture and have 2-3 postioned north south. alot of people do this.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
yeah that is fair enough, go with what you are comfortable with. might also be worth looking at the Radion then, start off with one now and run 2-3 one the 5x2. If you are running a hood on the new tank you could get any 2 foot light fixture and have 2-3 postioned north south. alot of people do this.
agree. the 2 foot units will do a 3 foot wide tank. for a 6x3x2 as an example you could use 3x 2 foot units.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
mainly for neatness. Dont like wires from controllers etc. It sits on the same rail and you control from there or you use it like a remote control so you can look at it from further back as you adjust

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
they are popular in the USA, Im not a fan of the high mounting required to get the spread of light though. for FW tanks it seems cool because you tanks are not positoned that high but reef tanks generally sit a good 20cm higher which puts the lights shining into your eyes a bit. Thats one of the things i hated about MH