Off-Topic

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
probably not. I need a new bluray player - my current one is old - like about second generation, so it's slow, and it gets cranky. Don't care so much for Play TV - I have fetch tv, so that handles my tv. Media server also not too concerned about - have WD HD Live box that pulls media over the network (and supports mkv + DTS audio). Hmm.. I could really get into gran turismo games again...
But then.. that's a nice chunk of savings for a bigger tank :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
it even plays ISO movie files!
Mine tends to suck a bit at ISO - get strange behaviour with it. Same with VOB files.

Got the new TV today - it works so much better when hooked up to a decent sized screen, rather than the old 68cm. The TV has DLNA support, but unsurprisingly it's support doesn't extend to DTS audio - the one thing I really, really, really want it to support. I have my entire DVD collection ripped to hard disks because I'm sick of discs laying around, and it bugs me if I can't hear something that was originally in DTS audio coming out in DTS audio.
Now I just need some new speakers for the sound system, and a 3D Bluray player.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
i also want some good speakers next on my list
I sorta need some. Since I started getting into using DTS (and realised my BD player wasn't set to use it), I've managed to blow both of my front speakers. Need to drive the speakers harder with DTS - it's harder to hear the voices around the other effects, so the volume goes up.. which is a problem when I have 20 watt speakers on 100 watt channels :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
driving 20w speakers at 100w really isnt healthy for them ;)
Hahah.. yeah. I know :D Have held up for a few years like it, but since I starting using DTS, I've needed to drive them just that little bit harder.... that little bit that was difference between fine and buggered...

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
my missus recently got herself a surround sound system and it is definately what we needed, the new LCD even though it is great picture quality and everything else is good, the sound from it just isnt up to standard. its a Vivo. got it for a good price at dick smith (which have become one of my favourite electronics store as they generally have good sales). it does get a little tinny, but the tv itself is pretty good allowing for tv recording without a set box, all I had to do was plug in a 16g USB stick and away it went, which is handy as the missus likes to watch shows that I dont so it allows me to record them and watch them when I am up late at night.

surround sound is definately worth it, and you can pick up some good systems on ebay.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
could you recomend an average priced suround sound system i could use
i have a sony bravia 40 inch lcd. running the sound through a 5.1ch logitech computer speaker setup.
i find it a pain in the ass because effects are loud and the talkings quiet? i cant seem to work it out. must be the speaker setup im running because im running it as a 2 channel

i use my ps3 and WD live media player for watching things/playing games, anyone know what sort of sound system i should be looking at
oh and it has to be relativly compact!!!. 2 tall standing speakers would be fine but i wouldnt be able to fit much more then that?

note the sound system doesent need a blu ray player or dvd player as my ps3 can do all that and i usualy just watch ripped movies anyway through the WD live

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
the missus bought a samsung freestyle home cinema system htx 250. it is the goods too. has two front speakers that are around 3 inch wide and 10 inch long by about 5 inch deep, the rears are the same size. these can be stood up or layed down which works well as the fronts can be layed in under or low line tv unit. the centre speaker sits on a bulk head above our telly (bulk head covers the curtain rods) the centre speaker is around an inch and a half bigger on all dimensions around. it also has a decent size sub which is great for when we play music through it which it pumps out, I think the system is around 600watt which doesnt seem like much but puts out better sound than our older stereo unit that was 2000watt. it has dvd no blue ray as it is a little older (bought second hand on ebay but like brand new) for $89 and postage was $25. you can pick up 300 watt units for under the $150 mark and they will put out some pretty good sound and have smaller speakers, about half the size of what I just described (around the 4 inch cubed mark).

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&...round+sound+systems&_sacat=See-All-Categories

do a little reasearch on what you need/want and you should be able to get it for less than $150 on ebay. also dont be afraid to look at a second hand unit, the pawn shops have some really good systems for the same price, people bring them into to get a bit of cash or a loan and sometimes dont pick them up so the pawn shops sell them for not much more than the loan amount. and these systems can generally have really good sound, mostly are over the 300watt with an average of 600watt.
the surround system we got fixed the low, tinny volume probs of the lcd we got and we run the sound system for the telly and movies etc. all the time. the lcd vloume is set to zero mostly.

have you tried playing with the equalizer on your system to fix the voice effects, sometimes it can be as simple as having a little play ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
how do i no witch ones can plug into my tv so i can get the ps3 and media player playing sound through it? what plugs do i use? optical or aux? (red and white)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
that would work matty :D

you can get ones just like that on ebay for less though ( I am a tad tight sometimes lol, cant see the point in paying more for something if you can get it cheaper!)

and yea you shouldnt have a prob running those through it, all you would need to do is use the red and white cables, its all I use :D

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ill have to have a look.
if i make the tv output the sound to the unit can i just use the unit as a sound system?

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Im a xboxer lol.Ive owned a ps1 and ps2.But i like the games on my xbox.Im a bit of a motorsport guy so forza 3 and waiting for 4.I also play assassins creed.