Reef Discussion

eventingpony

Jun 25, 2012
Any tips on fitting an internal weir? I see this could probably work straight out of the tank, but that defeats the purpose of 'surface' skimming..

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Mine is running in an internal coast to coast weir. You just need to make sure that the weir is tall enough that when the power goes out and the weir drains through the syphon that the bottom of the inlet pipe is still under water. Otherwise you will lose the syphon and when the power comes back on it will flood. You can actually turn the bottom of the inlet pipe up with 2 elbows and it will work as a surface skimmer.

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
@VaultBoy which of the two syphon's do u think is the best. i am thinking of MK2 so there is the back up its either that or i put 2 mk1's in im a little unsure atm a little advice would be appreciated

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
If I built another I would probably build 2 of the originals.... The MK2 was/is bulky and much more expensive to build. The benefits I envisaged dont outweigh the bulk and initial expense.

There are a few other ideas I had when I built the MK2 but I think they will be in much the same vain - more expensive to build and without much more benefit.

The MK1 still reigns supreme in my books!

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
@VaultBoy thanks for that dont suppose you have any dimensions for cut length of the mk1.also how deep is your weir section or can the tube that goes in the water be of any length?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
The tube that goes into the tank only has to drop below the outlet of the "box" this will mean that when the pump stops and the water level drains down it will not lose the syphon and it will start automatically when the pump restarts.

The only important dimension is the t piece or outlet of the "box" has to be below the level of the water in the tank and you can fashion a simple surface skimmer by turning up the inlet tube (in the tank) with 2 elbows, note the 2 elbows must be below the outlet t piece. This will also assist with maintaining the syphon.

There seems to be some evidence (not my experience) that says the longer the "u" tube runs down the back of the tank the better the system will flow.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
That looks fine.. I would move the t piece down a little bit to ensure you have enough height in the tank. Also the elbow facing up you may want to leave that one un glued and then you can fit a small piece of pipe into it and silence it by putting the end under water.