Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Continuing Attempts At Raising The Larvae
Now that the initial excitement over the first two hatches has abated, I will no longer start a new Journal Entry for each hatch, but rather just add to this Entry as required.

My first attempt was in a small 40cm x 26cm x 24cm tank, half full with water. In order to get the required level of food density I had to put in large numbers on NHBBS - the problem was that there were too many for the larvae to eat and the brine shrimp soon outgrew the peppermint shrimp larvae. It was also very difficult to see how many were still alive.

My second attempt has come and gone with, again, all the larvae dieing by day 5. On this attempt I used a glass beaker sitting in the original aquarium, effectively operating as a bath. I was much happier with the way this operated and will use this method again. I did have a problem with the airstone blocking which prevented water movement which I think may have resulted in significant deaths.

I did manage to get some larvae through another moult, as shown in these photo's. You will notice that the tail has changed significantly.

PS-44.jpg

PS-46.jpg

PS-45.jpg

I had a small hatch last night (20-30 larvae) which I plan to try a few different things with - I added some rotifers and NHBBS this morning, along with some nanno to just tint the water.

Cheers

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Surely cant be a macro lens. Do you have a microscope with a camera in it? Nice work by the way!

Edit: ignore that you answered it already...