Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Continuous Auto Water Change
At last it is done!!!

As some of you know, I run a litermeter continuous automated water change system. It is awesome, no doubt about it and I was lucky to get each component second hand at a good rate. I say that because there is one downside to these systems - the cost. Whilst I think they are worth it (especially since I paid a fraction of new retail cost!) others think the cost is a bit much, can't argue there.

So, a mate of mine wanted a bare bones litermeter type setup and found some good aqua medic peristaltic pumps to move the water.
We just had to work out how to control them. They are 240v pumps so the thought of digital timers came to mind, but they just aren't accurate enough as one pump could be 1% less efficient than the other and the timer wouldn't allow that level of fine control.

Seems like arduino is the answer, I'm just not good enough with arduino stuff yet... Lucky for me I know a few clever people who are pretty handy with that stuff and @MagicJ was very kind to help out. Not only did he develop the code (attached as freeware to all Reefuge members) but also to do the hard work of the electronics.

All I had to do was work out the 240v side of things and hand it over to my mate to test out.

This is where we are at now. The code accepts a calibration value for each pump (set amount of fluid or time, whichever is easier), an amount of water to change per day and the number of pump events you want to happen each hour(lots of small or a couple large).

Here are the pics!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Updates to follow :)

Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
MagicJ deserves the kudos, I merely did my best to butcher his fine work....

I'll paste the code up tomorrow as I can't do it from my iPhone. If anyone would like to use it or further develop it, that would be great!

Reactions: ajs

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You could have written all that electrical mumbo jumbo in Chinese and I'd have gotten the same thing out of it, NADA, ZIP. :D

Neat set up, luckily I have a computer engineer that I have access to so I'm gonna see if he can set this up for me.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
OK parts list was as follows:

Arduino nano
Breadboard to mount it on
Suitable real time clock module
2x SSR40 dc/ac relays
Project box

That's about it really. You could use a couple of extension leads for the output for each pump, but I modified a dual wall plate to have two individually controlled outlets to try and make it look a little neat.

A word of working, this project does use 240v (well, my version of it did, you could do it with DC power pumps just as easily) which is very dangerous. You should have an electrician wire the 240v side up for you and check over the entire project to ensure it is safe for use.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The back of the proto board looks like this

Back-of-Water-Change-Board.jpg

Basically, it is just connecting the output pins from the Arduino Nano to the Real Time Clock and the connectors for the relays. I added in some resistors and LED's for some visual feedback but they aren't really required.

At some stage I would like to find the time to learn how to design custom PCB's which would make putting this together a 5 minute job but, unfortunately, I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

The Arduino Nano's can be purchased for less than $6; the Real Time Clock for less than $2; and the proto board and other parts for a few dollars - so for all these parts you are looking around $10.

@Sam Parker might be able to put a rough cost on the SSR's etc.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Pretty keen to give this a go. Is there any readily available pumps that are suitable? I saw that this one was made with the aqua medic pumps but I can't find much about them.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Nice work guys @Sam Parker @MagicJ

As always, adding value to the Reefing community.

Now the LiterMeter gear is expensive, however you can buy the pumps as a spare part. They are DC (not sure, but I can check the voltage) so if you don't want to play with 240V and they are built like a tank. Without the housing the actual pump is $95US each as a spare part. Note sure what the Aquamedic go for or how it compares.

Pricey, but when you see the quality of these pumps and add a much cheaper option in the controller created by the guys it makes it a quality system at an affordable price. The (litermeter) pumps will last the distance and are JG ready.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
The back of the proto board looks like this
LOL that's what the back of the board used to look like. Then some idiot drilled through the arduino, mangled the removal of the drilled out one, installed the new one a pin up from where it should be and then had to resolder all the wires again.... But hey, it works!!! That could be why I didn't show any pictures of the inside of the box once complete ;P)

The ac/dc relays run at about $6ea, the play very nicely with arduino as they will accept a 3-32vdc input at very little current to switch 240vac power. Very handy :)
Project box is about $5 and the face plate was another $6 or so - so the project itself is pretty cheap to knock together.

I used aqua-medic pumps for this as a mate was selling some cheap and they should do the job nicely. But yes, if you wanted to go all out, I'd buy the litremeter pumps at $100 and run them (they are bloody awesome) If you went that route, you would swap out the dc/ac relays for some normal DC relays and use a 12v 1-2amp power supply.

I'd love to see some boards made so that we could just drop the components on, load the code and be done. Who wants to take this to the next level???

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
thanks, will be putting one of these together(with help of cousin)
Nice work guys @Sam Parker @MagicJ

As always, adding value to the Reefing community.

Now the LiterMeter gear is expensive, however you can buy the pumps as a spare part. They are DC (not sure, but I can check the voltage) so if you don't want to play with 240V and they are built like a tank. Without the housing the actual pump is $95US each as a spare part. Note sure what the Aquamedic go for or how it compares.

Pricey, but when you see the quality of these pumps and add a much cheaper option in the controller created by the guys it makes it a quality system at an affordable price. The (litermeter) pumps will last the distance and are JG ready.
If anyone wants to order some pumps from Spectrapure for this then let me know. I will probably get some in a couple of weeks.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I know a couple people interested in the litremeter pumps to use in one of these setups, the pumps are here:

http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-O...staltic-Dosing-Pump-LiterMeter-Gen6-Pump-Only

I think these would work very very very well and could even be mounted in the box itself for a full contained auto water change setup. If anyone is intersted in these, share so here as we might be able to get a group discount or at worse, share post.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have a older spare (not Gen6) if @Sam Parker or @MagicJ wanted/needed it to make it work. Happy to ship it around but eventually want it back to put it away as a spare.

I also have a spare Litremeter auto-cut off pressure sensor thingy if you wanted to test/add that feature.

@Magic - if he hasn't already posted I can throw it in with a parcel on it's way to you (let me know ASAP and I can check if that's posted yet)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You sound like me MagicJ, busier than a 1 legged man at an ass kickin' contest. BRB, building the new sump.