Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Love the drawing, don't have a clue what I'm looking at, but thanks heaps for doing this. I'm sending this off to my friend who is an electrical engineer to build for me with a list of the parts needed. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this guys!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Love the drawing, don't have a clue what I'm looking at, but thanks heaps for doing this. I'm sending this off to my friend who is an electrical engineer to build for me with a list of the parts needed. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this guys!
aencrypted_tbn2_gstatic_com_images_6c0246cfc4f427b5ddb45a7a0127c6bd._.jpg

Rob, what I have done so far wouldn't pass Grade 1 Eagle CAD school - if you sent this to anyone, they would just laugh at you...:p

Give me a few days and I might come up with something useable.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If he understands my chicken scratch and ramblings of things I want, he'll get the idea MJ. We grew up together so he's used to my goofy shit, lol.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
He has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, he damn well better be able to figure it out, lol. When we were kids, he'd wire up all kinds of shit. One time we had a computer fan and wired it to 110v, damn thing hopped and skipped all over the table spewing smoke and sparks, we still laugh about it today.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
He has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering, he damn well better be able to figure it out, lol. When we were kids, he'd wire up all kinds of shit. One time we had a computer fan and wired it to 110v, damn thing hopped and skipped all over the table spewing smoke and sparks, we still laugh about it today.
Sounds like most of my projects... Kidding!!!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My second, and much better, attempt

upload_2015-6-6_23-8-59.png

This is on a 10cm x 5cm footprint - I have also broken out a few extra digital pins + ground + 5v just in case there is a need to add something else.

Boards would work out to around $3.50 each (with minimum order of 10) - I might be able to squeeze the main components (without the extra pins etc) onto a 5cm x 5cm board for around $2.50 each.

I would need to check the component prices, but the total cost would be around $15.

Is there enough interest ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
He figured it out. I usually say "I want this to do this, make it happen." Sometimes I get what I want, sometimes I get a blank stare, lol. And if I give him a drawing he says "I know damn good and well you didn't draw this." I blamed the drawing on you this time so I didn't catch hell over it. :D

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I don't need one @MagicJ but out of interest did you make the board a "standard" size to fit in a Jiffy case from Jaycar or similar - something easily obtainable.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
@MagicJ would the board you designed be compatible with the DC parts to run the Spectrapure pumps?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Not sure what shape, etc, but here's a quick list. Are you planning on putting a LCD shield or anything on the face, etc. Buttons for programming, etc?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=jiffy box&CSRFToken=bcc410aa-1f8f-42cc-b4f0-c408f24399d7
From the jaycar website - To fit PCB (mm) Horizontal 62 x 49

I had designed the board based on a 100 x 50 size for no particular reason other than that was one of the sizes available from iteadstudio.com

I could try to fit it on a 62 x 49 size board - I need to learn how to design my own parts as the RTC module I had used is not actually the correct size.

As for an LCD, buttons etc - no, there is no plan for these. The original idea from @Sam Parker was for a small, low cost solution - adding these additional components adds to the cost and complexity. The downside is that the variables need to be hard coded using the Arduino IDE (software). Given that this would hopefully be a 'set and forget' solution this was not considered to be a major problem.

Longer term, I would love to be able to add in a Bluetooth module (around $5) and use a mobile device to program the Arduino - this will happen, but it's not on the short term radar (although I have managed to learn enough about Eagle to create a usable board in a week or two :D)