Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah the original design required the most basic form possible. I must admit, I did have the hope that the reefuge community may take the code and run with it to turn it into something else. I can see that it wouldn't be too hard to add some cool features. You could add dosing channels, dosing stirrers (either magnetic spinners or air pumps), lcd/screen, salinity monitoring, float switch emergency shut offs etc.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
From the jaycar website - To fit PCB (mm) Horizontal 62 x 49

I had designed the board based on a 100 x 50 size for no particular reason other than that was one of the sizes available from iteadstudio.com

I could try to fit it on a 62 x 49 size board - I need to learn how to design my own parts as the RTC module I had used is not actually the correct size.

As for an LCD, buttons etc - no, there is no plan for these. The original idea from @Sam Parker was for a small, low cost solution - adding these additional components adds to the cost and complexity. The downside is that the variables need to be hard coded using the Arduino IDE (software). Given that this would hopefully be a 'set and forget' solution this was not considered to be a major problem.

Longer term, I would love to be able to add in a Bluetooth module (around $5) and use a mobile device to program the Arduino - this will happen, but it's not on the short term radar (although I have managed to learn enough about Eagle to create a usable board in a week or two :D)
I think the whole thing is a great initiative. Low cost, etc. But surely the 1 feature it must have is a way to set (change from default??) the amount of change per day (depending on tank size).

Is the current solution you "type" a number into the sketch then upload? If so, then great. Those Jiffy's will work a treat.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Correct - you can open the sketch, change the value for each pump if required (you can set total amount per day and number of pump events per day - plus the calibration values for each pump) then just upload that.

Although it is something I change on the litremeter now and then, it would be probably a couple times a year, so figured the extra complexity/expense wasn't worth it. But I know some people will want it added (if I was using it, I would, but I'm just a pain!)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@MagicJ would the board you designed be compatible with the DC parts to run the Spectrapure pumps?
The board outputs a 5v signal which can be used to control a relay which would, in turn, control those pumps. Something like this would work fine http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5V-80V-2...04?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c9587e8f4

I have previously played around with a motor controller IC (L293D) which will work nicely with 12v pumps - this would effectively do away with the need for the Solid State Relays :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
hahaha I wish! Na just noticed that you can get this for $10 more than the pump alone, I reckon it's worth it:
http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OFF/LITERMETER-ADD-ONS/LiterMeter-III-Remote-Pump-Module
Damn - Wish I had of bought that. I bought the pump only to upgrade the one in the unit (So they are both gen6). Now I am thinking I will (eventually) stuff the older pump into a jiffy case, add a cable and hook it up as "Pump C". Should be able to pump skimmate form the cup ;-)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Damn - Wish I had of bought that. I bought the pump only to upgrade the one in the unit (So they are both gen6). Now I am thinking I will (eventually) stuff the older pump into a jiffy case, add a cable and hook it up as "Pump C". Should be able to pump skimmate form the cup ;-)
Yeah I figure for the extra $10, the neat case will come in handy (even if just to store the spare pump!)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If you end up with a spare case let me know - I'll happy take it off your hands and cover your costs.

Cheers

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
hahaha I wish! Na just noticed that you can get this for $10 more than the pump alone, I reckon it's worth it:
http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OFF/LITERMETER-ADD-ONS/LiterMeter-III-Remote-Pump-Module
I'm wondering if I should get these instead of the stand alone pumps now. Thoughts?

Nah - @Buddy just had his B'Day..

Happy Birthday @Buddy
No Birthday here lol, unless is already Feb again?!? I am still making the tightarse litermeter knock off :p

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I'm wondering if I should get these instead of the stand alone pumps now. Thoughts?

No Birthday here lol, unless is already Feb again?!? I am still making the tightarse litermeter knock off :p
Hmm - Different guy. I take it back - no Happy Birthday for you :banghead

If you decide you only want the pumps, get the kit and I will buy the case (and cable if it comes with one) from you. Pump is easily removed - 4 screws and it pulls from the case, 2 wires to unsolder.

Cheers

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
hahahahaha no birthday for you!!!

Yeah, get the case, worth the extra $10
No cake day :(
Will do!

Hmm - Different guy. I take it back - no Happy Birthday for you :banghead

If you decide you only want the pumps, get the kit and I will buy the case (and cable if it comes with one) from you. Pump is easily removed - 4 screws and it pulls from the case, 2 wires to unsolder.

Cheers
I can ask if they will supply a spare case?

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
Hello- is this still active and total cost to set up plse? Also can this set up work on 2 seperate tanks at the same time?