Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sure is Servet, local cost is dependent on the components you chose.

@Buddy is putting one together right now and could advise of his costs.

For two tanks, you'd want two units. If your wanting out of the box setup, spectrapure so have a sale on at the moment for the litremeter unit?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I should have mine up to a point to test it out today. I can give you a run down of costs if you like?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
The Arduino, RTC, relays and other bits and pieces come in under $20.
The pumps are the expensive part. I went with some excellent quality pumps from Spectrapure which were $360 including shipping from the US. (two pumps)
I split my shipping with @Sam Parker so it might be closer to $400 for the two pumps if you order them alone.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
There wasn't a lot of work done today at the @Buddy and @MagicJ workplaces - but I think another water changer should be in operation soon :)
Very true, but it was still a very productive day for the aquarium :p
I have done a bench test with the pumps plugged in and its all working after @MagicJ made a slight change to the Arduino code. Next job is to get the tubing from the IBC to the tank and calibrate the pumps.
Further along we might try and get it working with motor ICs instead of the relays.
Big thanks to @MagicJ and @Sam Parker :D:worship:worship:worship

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
@MagicJ would it be possible to add some code for a larger one-off water change? 100L for example.
I am thinking something along the lines of setting a date, time and amount. The normal water changes would then automatically resume once the one-off change has completed.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Anything is possible, but by adding more than the basic timing schedule without some sort of feedback and/or fail safe system is, in my opinion, asking for trouble.

@Buddy, you might know what you are doing but someone else might think they are programming it for 100 litres, but actually do it for 1000 litres - think what the consequences might be :eek.

An option for a manual override would be impossible without some type of input/output system.

The next step up is adding some type of screen and input system which adds to the cost and complexity - not necessarily difficult to do but probably not what most people would be prepared to pay for, unless it could be incorporated with some other functions.

For example, a water changer together with a set of dosing pumps and maybe a PH monitor??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
For larger changes you will run into trouble with ATO plus the time required for each pump to run.

I think if you want to do a large monthly/quarterly change your still best off doing that the way you did before.

I am keen for additional features to be added, but I keep giving Magic leads on other projects. My bad!!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Sounds complcated @MagicJ , thanks for the run down :) I am extremely happy with the water changer how it is now, but if there are any future expansions I would use them too.
For larger changes you will run into trouble with ATO plus the time required for each pump to run.

I think if you want to do a large monthly/quarterly change your still best off doing that the way you did before.

I am keen for additional features to be added, but I keep giving Magic leads on other projects. My bad!!
With the larger changes, I was thinking that both pumps could be on at the same time. You would lose a small % of the new water but it wouldn't be much to worry about.
(How cool would it be to set up a one-off water change over bluetooth :p)

All good- I am very grateful for the help on getting this changer up and running and it wouldn't worry me at all if nothing else was added to it. It makes life easier as is!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You can just plug your two pumps into a constant power supply once a month perhaps with a timer so you don't forget, but yeah - wifi/bluetooth "emergency" large water change would be bloody cool!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
LCD display with buttons. Calibration is a simple timed 500ml pump event, then you just set the flow requirements for each pump on the display. You only have the option of setting the litres per day though, it is set at 140 pump events per 24 hours.

On my versions though, the power in and pumps in are just headphone jacks. So I could essentially just get a single to double headphone jack, plug power into one side and both pumps into the other and leave her go for a big constant change. Not sure if I need to do it at all, but you know me....

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
LCD display with buttons. Calibration is a simple timed 500ml pump event, then you just set the flow requirements for each pump on the display. You only have the option of setting the litres per day though, it is set at 140 pump events per 24 hours.

On my versions though, the power in and pumps in are just headphone jacks. So I could essentially just get a single to double headphone jack, plug power into one side and both pumps into the other and leave her go for a big constant change. Not sure if I need to do it at all, but you know me....
Yeah mine are 3.5mm mono jacks too. I was thinking of running some wires from the jacks to a switch and will power both pumps when the switch is on. Achieves the same thing you are thinking of anyway :)
Is it going to make any difference to the Arduino if it wants to turn on a pump if they are already on?