Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Magic will be able to answer from an electronic point of view, but I'd be fairly sure it would be fine. May need to install a diode to ensure you don't geed any power back into the arduino though.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
why would you want to run your pumps that long? I'd be nervous with such a large change, walking away and doing it remotely or without supervision at the least.

How long does it take you now for that "once off" change?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I think I remember reading somewhere as well the pumps are only rated for 100 litres per day or something like that - that's over the course of 151 events (140 or whatever it is), not continuous.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is it going to make any difference to the Arduino if it wants to turn on a pump if they are already on?
Disclaimer - I am not an Electrical Engineer and I cannot be held responsible for anything I do or say :)

It should not have any effect on the Arduino - it is protected from any other components by the SSR which works via an opto-isolator.

Is the Liter-Meter happy to operate for long periods of time?

The best solution is to use a button/switch as an input to the Arduino - when the switch is operated, both pumps will be turned on and override any other code. You could have one more variable in the sketch - majorWaterChangeVolume = 100 litres and use this to calculate the time that the pumps need to be on for??

Pressing the button again could act as an emergency stop.

But, I am still wary of implementing something like this without the ability to provide any sort of feedback - what if the button gets pressed by accident?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Geez, you guys are waaaay too sensible.... Jump on the bandwagon of radical unnecessary gadget activities, its fun!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
why would you want to run your pumps that long? I'd be nervous with such a large change, walking away and doing it remotely or without supervision at the least.
How long does it take you now for that "once off" change?
I think I remember reading somewhere as well the pumps are only rated for 100 litres per day or something like that - that's over the course of 151 events (140 or whatever it is), not continuous.
I didn't think there would be any problem pumping 50 - 100L as a once off? If they are only rated for the 100L per day then I would just stick to my normal manual large water change. I tried to find some info about the pumps but didn't find anything. If I was to do a large change, it would be supervised though.
Disclaimer - I am not an Electrical Engineer and I cannot be held responsible for anything I do or say :)

It should not have any effect on the Arduino - it is protected from any other components by the SSR which works via an opto-isolator.

Is the Liter-Meter happy to operate for long periods of time?

The best solution is to use a button/switch as an input to the Arduino - when the switch is operated, both pumps will be turned on and override any other code. You could have one more variable in the sketch - majorWaterChangeVolume = 100 litres and use this to calculate the time that the pumps need to be on for??

Pressing the button again could act as an emergency stop.

But, I am still wary of implementing something like this without the ability to provide any sort of feedback - what if the button gets pressed by accident?
Maybe it would be possible to hook up a piezo speaker and just have a beep every minute or so while the switch is on? I am an Arduino noob so I have no idea if this is even possible :P
How about shorting a jumper instead of using a button? Fiddly but stops any accidental pushes.
Just throwing ideas out there:)

Geez, you guys are waaaay too sensible.... Jump on the bandwagon of radical unnecessary gadget activities, its fun!
Living on the edge :cool:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
And add in a secret code that only the president knows :p
I was thinking like those nuclear torpedo ones where you have a disposable code and twin keyed switches that need to be done at the same time by the only two people in the world authorised to do so.... But I guess, it could be considered overkill... ;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Or one of these. Your tank will love the constant water change - and it says you will be rich so you can afford it

ai1.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_original_000_663_531_431.gif

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Maybe it would be possible to hook up a piezo speaker and just have a beep every minute or so while the switch is on? I am an Arduino noob so I have no idea if this is even possible :p
Yep, easily done - I have a few of the said speakers at home - they cost a dollar or two. There is actually an Arduino Tone library which can be used to play songs !!

How about shorting a jumper instead of using a button? Fiddly but stops any accidental pushes.
Again, possible - but it requires the enclosure to be opened to access the jumper.

This is what we need
apbmo.files.wordpress.com_2011_02_nuke_case.png_3468992a3fc43d02c6c896b9f01812a8.png

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep, easily done - I have a few of the said speakers at home - they cost a dollar or two. There is actually an Arduino Tone library which can be used to play songs !!

Again, possible - but it requires the enclosure to be opened to access the jumper.

This is what we need
View attachment 50447
Cool, I could fly drones from my water changer :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
How are these going now? Mine is going great, doing the job perfectly.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Mine are still sitting in the cupboard :-(

But I have the new sump to support it (drains and such built in), the line is run from the 2000L tanks of NSW and a drain has been run to the room.

I've also started building the new sump stand (I want it elevated).

Who knows, maybe I'll get it done over Xmas ;)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Mine are still sitting in the cupboard :-(

But I have the new sump to support it (drains and such built in), the line is run from the 2000L tanks of NSW and a drain has been run to the room.

I've also started building the new sump stand (I want it elevated).

Who knows, maybe I'll get it done over Xmas ;)
Let me know if you need a hand, I might have a few free days around Xmas.
Did you end up getting that spare pump cover from me?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Cool, I could fly drones from my water changer :)
Just don't fly them over my farm, my shotgun makes an AWFUL mess of them. One of the kids in the neighborhood thought it was cool to scare the livestock, 3 shot later the weapon of terror lay on the ground in a heap. It's illegal here to fly them over private property and record. The police confiscated the tape and they were fined $1000.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Let me know if you need a hand, I might have a few free days around Xmas.
Did you end up getting that spare pump cover from me?
Crap no. I'll have to try and work something out. SMS me your details and I'll transfer the money (if I haven't already - I can't remember to be honest). You busy from now until Xmas?

Oh - and on the hand yeah I might take you up on that on the day of the change over when I think I am ready to go. Full day I'd say.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Crap no. I'll have to try and work something out. SMS me your details and I'll transfer the money (if I haven't already - I can't remember to be honest). You busy from now until Xmas?

Oh - and on the hand yeah I might take you up on that on the day of the change over when I think I am ready to go. Full day I'd say.
They didn't charge me for the cover so it's a freebie for you! I am working up until the 24th so I won't be home much. I could always post it to you or leave it in my letterbox for you to pick up?