News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Copied Content
Hi everyone,

I am quickly just writing this up to tell everyone that as of today, copying and pasting content (with reference link or not) is not allowed. As this is a new community, I would like every article to be original and work of this community, not another. By doing this, The Reefuge will be able to expand gradually into a big board with original content.

Today I am going to go over informative articles, and delete any that have been copied from another site. The Reefuge wiki is opening up soon, and if you would like to be involved in writing completely unique articles and content, please PM Matt Green and ask to be part of the content team.

I would also like everyone to read over the rules. They have been updated, and can be found at http://www.thereefuge.com/help/terms

Other than that, I am glad to see so many of you online on a daily basis, and I am very proud of what you have all achieved with the boards growth so far. Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
What if we are pasting our own content from another site? I have copied parts of my tank journal and DIY overflow thread but this is all my own writing and heavily editted to make it essentially new content is this above still ok?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
As MagicJ said, if you are the original author of the work, you are free to post it anywhere you like.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
can we still cross link to another site though if we find something interesting that we want to bring to people's attention-eg reefbuilders always bring out new reviews on the the latest equipment etc

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi firebird,

Everyone can link to whatever they like, but I just don't want to see a lot of a users posts / threads copying content. Linking to information is fine, just as long as it is not done on the majority of posts.

I hope that helps clear it up a bit :)

Thanks.

Ross

Aug 31, 2011
Hello Reefuge,

After reading through this rule about posting copied content, I started to wonder about possible situations, when anything but a copied statement would be unethical.
Please take this as constructive criticism and nothing else as I mean no offence.

I refer to a post I made on another site in which I used a direct copy to dispel incorrect information being repeated by other members.

Personally I can't stand reading posts filled with pages of copied documents, so I completely understand where you are coming from. However I can foresee plenty of situations where this rule will hinder the people trying to clear up falsehoods.

Anyway, congratulations on getting the site up and running and good on you for having a go.
Regards
Ross.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi there Ross,

Welcome to The Reefuge, glad you signed up :)

When I say I do not want content being copied, I mean mass copying. For example, "Ross" signs up, and "Ross" goes to another forum, copies articles and post from people and then posts them here with a link going back to the original post. It is all well and good if a user asks for example "Is there a way to automatically feed my tank?" and then you reply with an article about how to go about doing it. So long as that is not ALL you do.

Everything in moderation. We had a user who came here, copied peoples Tank Journals, images, articles etc and posted them up. That is what I don't want to see. But showing someone an article to help them is fine.

I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

Thank you for your comments on the site, I hope you are enjoying it.

Thanks.