Tank Journal Archive

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Copper In Tanks
Hi all, I have the dreaded ich and was wondering if I use copper in my quarrantine tank am I able to reuse the tank for a sump at a later date? I have hear silicone holds and slowly leaches the copper at a later date. Thoughts please?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Chemi pure is meant to get rid of metal impurities . I dump some in my sump from time to time....as for itch . Not sure on how much you already know cause I know you have been around for some time.
its a parasites that lives on the flesh of fish for about 2 weeks. Then falls off lays eggs in your sand bed and dies. Then when the lava hatchs the process starts all over again. ( I think thats right).
I have only ever had it once in my tank where its been noticeable. However once in your system it very hard to remove unless you go fish free for a few months or beare bottom . That will make the lave easier to remove. If you ad a UV filter it will remove any floating parasites but wont eliminate them enteiley.

Marine Ich as four stages in its life cycle. Copper is a doubtful treatment for ich. It's like giving a human chemo "just in case", a last resort.

Yes silicon does absorb and leach copper, using the tank in the future may kill most or all of the invertebrates in your tank. The only proven and safge method is the hypersalinity method but it has to be done to exact specs.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My main display tank is a former freshwater planted tank and I used a number of treatments in the tank that included copper over time. I now have been running it as marine for 3 years and have had a number of inverts over the years including currently a coral banded shrimp that has been in there for 2 years, glass/anemone shrimp, hermit crabs and thousands of worms. The tank is also linked (with a common sump) to my mantis shrimp tank and all of the inhabitants are fine. I dont think the copper leaching out of silicone thing is as bad as people think, plenty of people top off with tap water which comes through at least some copper/brass pipes and therefore contains some dissolved copper.

Copper is toxic to (almost) all living things, the trick is the dose, I think the copper is in such a low concentration that microbes etc. will break it down to an insoluble form before it becomes a problem.

Also I read about a treatment to remove almost all traces of copper from a tank using just bleach or ammonia and vinegar, I think... It was a while ago!

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Ive done quite a bit of reading on this now.
In terms of treatment. Copper is still the gold standard treatment but it must be maintained at the correct lvl at all times to be effective.
Without using additives. Put all fish in a bare bottom tank for 8 weeks and let the ich die off in main tank from lack of hosts to reproduce.

It is also easier to maintain stable copper levels in a tank without sand and live rock

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I don't know where the copper leaching thing came from, but it needs to stop RIGHT NOW. Glass is impervious and what little copper the silicone will absorb is negligible, you get more copper from water running through copper piping. If you're paranoid, throw a poly filtre in your sump somewhere. Let the ich run its course, the filtre feeding inverts will take care of the spores and free swimming stages. You will ALWAYS have ich in your tank, the one you don't want is oodinium.