Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Coral / Acropora Crabs
Hi,

Just wondering how many of you have Acropora / Coral crabs. These guys are relatively small and live among the polys of Acropora/Pocillipora corals. I have 2 species in my tank, Trapezia cymodoce (red-dots coral crab) and Trapezia septata (honeycomb coral crab). I have found that both of these species do not harm the coral (from my observations) and provide a form of "big brother" protection. I have watched these little guys, move encroaching starfish away from "their" coral. Have also seen them move / nip at anemone tips when they get too close to "their" coral.

It might pay for you to have a close look at your Stylos, Acros and Pocillipora corals. You may just be lucky enough to have such a crab in your system. They tend to be deep within the coral branches and are not that easy to see.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes the are great. Fantastic additions to our minature reefs. Any chance you could post some pics with your fancy camera?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ill try take some over the weekend. its by no way fancy just an entry level dslr! ill give it a go:grin

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I havent been lucky enough to get anything like these little crabs in my tank, I have only had a few morphs grow on there own, some feather dusters and a couple of unknown softies (might be something else. not sure).
the only other thing that I got which I wasnt sure about are these little "worm" type creatures. they free swim, look like a small furry centipede. its legs look like a feather duster head. havent been able to get pics. gotta get the program on my laptop so I can get pictures of the wifes mobile.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, the coral crabs are relatively difficult to extract from their host. There is conflicting information regarding if they are benificial or not. In my opinion, they do more good than harm.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I allso leave them in there i have heaps. i had a large piece of acro in my old tank and had roughly 10 of the little crabs in it!!!.