Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Coral Propagation (pic Heavy)
This morph rock - Rhodactus sp. - got knocked over a couple of days ago, making me more suspicious that I have a new crab in the tank after finding a big piece of claw on the sand bed and a few eaten limpets recently. This Rhodactus must have gotten some damage to its foot from the fall and has decided to split. Thought I'd post the picture to show a case of 'natural division' which morphs are renowned for.

splitting morph.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Great shot of them, they always amaze me how sometimes they just decide life is good at that spot and split or get a knock like yours and go for it as well :-)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
They seem to go through phases. I have the big green ones like that and they were splitting all the time but have stopped for a while. Also have the blue tonga type and I started with one and now I have three and looks like in the next few weeks maybe four! I wonder if its a size thing? Once they get fully grown out they split?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Mine always split if they are large and are put under a bit of stress - changing tanks, new lighting, damaged etc. Many split when they sit on angles/slants.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
These hot pink corallimorphs are really precious to me. I waited till I had 3, coral banked one at @Morphology & finally got the balls to cut one in half tonight. Grow babies, grow!

IMAG0187.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Decided I want more Xenia about the place, LOTS more. This one is a small growing variety. Doesn't seem to spread much unless it has something vertical to climb. Thought I'd try hacking off the polyps & covering the container with fine netting & see if they take.

Grown up
IMAG0174_1.jpg

Hacked polyps, fingers crossed

IMAG0172.jpg

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
Morphs are pretty durable. Have one like the ones @agentm put up first, it was attached on a lampshell (bivalve) then the lampshell died and fell off the rock taking half the morph with it literally slowly tearing it apart over a week... Anyway point to the story is now have 2 morphs :rolleyes

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Keep us updated on the morph don't know if I'd have the guts, I just wait till they split lol
Its a pretty safe bet chopping up a morph, I was just being careful with these and made sure I had a backup as well. The hot pinks are pretty awesome, I started noticing them for sale occasionally last year - got them from Aquarium Excellence.