Reef Discussion

Coralbox Moon Led Unit
So I'm trying these new Led's from coral box sold through fish street. I ordered one for myself to go over the Aqua Reef 195 and a mate ordered three for his 5 footer. First impressions I'm very impressed. Not as smooth as the Ethereal's I purchased for my main tank but for the money and the wifi control over 7 channels.... Can't beat it! Here are some photos. US145 each when buying three or more. US189 for units sold on they're own. 53W each so 3.5W per led.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It's got pretty much everything you can think of as far as time schedule setup and cloud/lightning features. Manual mode Auto.... Wifi is the best thing about it. This tank is just over 2 foot deep, no problem for intensity. I'd like to see par readings though. Don't thing it'll go too bad at all. Love these coral box products!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
If anyone is interested in one (or more of these) let me know, I get 10% discount at fish street and am happy to co-ordinate a group buy

2 or less = $234ea (plus post)
3 or more = $182ea (plus post)

To give an indication of post, I can get 3 delivered to me for $1.81 post (gotta love the fish street postage calculator.....) Then I can either hand them to you in person or post (hopefully through work for nothing).

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
It's got pretty much everything you can think of as far as time schedule setup and cloud/lightning features. Manual mode Auto.... Wifi is the best thing about it. This tank is just over 2 foot deep, no problem for intensity. I'd like to see par readings though. Don't thing it'll go too bad at all. Love these coral box products!
Hi Mate, How is the tank doing under these for you?
I brought 3 of these myself to go over my 9 month old 6 footer and only have LPS in it. All looks great apart from a recent Gold stem Torch addition that seems to be loosing it's gold stem on one side of the stem. Blastos, Acans, Hammers and Zoa's all look great though

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I brought 3 of these myself to go over my 9 month old 6 footer and only have LPS in it. All looks great apart from a recent Gold stem Torch addition that seems to be loosing it's gold stem on one side of the stem. Blastos, Acans, Hammers and Zoa's all look great though
Gold torches are touchy, temperamental bastards at best. They can look great one day and a few days later have BJD or STN and up and die on you. Watch the flow on it, they like an uneven sporadic flow.

Re the light systems. Do they have a gradual ramp up feature rather than the 5-10% increase increments like the black Chinabox lights?

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Hey Magic - it can do smaller amounts of ramping - from what I can tell it's basically the same as the AI prime app if you have any experience with that. Maybe a bit harder to use though I didn't fiddle around with mine all that much though.

At the moment tank is blue in the morning on the AI side and purple on the Moon LED side aside from that they match up ok

@jaspass

Hi @Wazza22, I decided to pull down the tank and put the funds into a bigger main tank. Im upgrading my 3x2x2 to a 4 foot tank. The light was great but if anyone can speak for it, it would be Jaspass... He has three of them over his 5 foot tank.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Gold torches are touchy, temperamental bastards at best. They can look great one day and a few days later have BJD or STN and up and die on you. Watch the flow on it, they like an uneven sporadic flow.

Re the light systems. Do they have a gradual ramp up feature rather than the 5-10% increase increments like the black Chinabox lights?
Sorry Guy's, only just noticed my Alerts on thereefuge o_0
It seems to me to be a gradual ramp up as i have full controlability via the app to go from say 5% at 7am to 7% at 7:30am to 10% at 8am etc
Can add more time slots or take them away as needed.
It has 6 controls for White, Royal Blue, Cree Blue (whatever that is), Violet, Green and Red
The dimming or brightening seem very subtle to me.
I'm normally a big believer in "You get what you pay for" but i am just setting up my tank and didn't want to go all out only to fail from inexperience in other areas.

Thanks for the tip on the Gold Torch too. Think i may have to move it from that advice, i have a Gyre XF150 on pulse and while my Hammers are placed where they flow back and forth the Torch seems to not wave back and forth as much.
Also forgive my noob question but what is BJD and STN?

Cheers

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
I should also point out that i brought a $15 lime green Acro and put under these lights just to see how it goes. I have it on the LPS config with some slight mods and the Acro is putting out new branches but it doesnt seem to be growing as fast as the LPS (as you would expect) but mind you i dont know what to feed the acro or when. Just brought some reef roids and started broadcast feeding it to the tank where as most of my LPS i target feed mysis or oyster except a couple that dont seem to accept food.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I should also point out that i brought a $15 lime green Acro and put under these lights just to see how it goes. I have it on the LPS config with some slight mods and the Acro is putting out new branches but it doesnt seem to be growing as fast as the LPS (as you would expect) but mind you i dont know what to feed the acro or when. Just brought some reef roids and started broadcast feeding it to the tank where as most of my LPS i target feed mysis or oyster except a couple that dont seem to accept food.
Acro's are not as tolerant of poor water conditions, and require calcium and alkalinity to grow - what parameters do you measure?

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Acro's are not as tolerant of poor water conditions, and require calcium and alkalinity to grow - what parameters do you measure?
Thanks for the super fast response.
I test for Calcium, Alk and Phosphate. Stopped testing for Nitrate and Nitrite as they always registered 0 but every now and then will just see what they are. Last check about 2 weeks ago and again no readings
I have a TLF 150 reactor with Phosban and my PO4 has come from over the limit for the Hanna ULR tester to .04 as of today and has been under .1 for almost 2 months.
I use the Red Sea calcium test kit and it is currently off the charts as i use the whole 1ml of the titration and it hasnt changed color yet. This is a hang over of me dosing red sea calcium when my last test kit (also red sea) was telling me it was low ... Lesson learned to check for expiry dates as it was over a year out :(
I currently have the API Alk test kit and it was 7.5 today. I use Kalk in my top off
I have Caluerpa in my sump that i grows insanely under a Tunze waterproof LED of the plant growth (6500K) type not reef
So from what i test for only the Calcium to Alk seems out of whack but the Alk still seems in the ok zone.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
It sounds like you are doing all the right things - I am going to ask about your magnesium levels now :rolleyes
K, dont test that regularly and forgot to put that in my first post about my testing regime but my Salifert kit just used the full 1ml of titration to turn Blue so i'd call that 1500ppm

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Just predicting the next question, my Salinity is 1.027 using an ATC refractometer (or up-aqua)
Also overlooked that in my testing regime before.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
If anyone is interested in one (or more of these) let me know, I get 10% discount at fish street and am happy to co-ordinate a group buy

2 or less = $234ea (plus post)
3 or more = $182ea (plus post)

To give an indication of post, I can get 3 delivered to me for $1.81 post (gotta love the fish street postage calculator.....) Then I can either hand them to you in person or post (hopefully through work for nothing).
Hey mate can you still get these!