Reef Discussion

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Hello mate, sorry to hear about the issue.. Have you added a new LPS lately, could be a bacterial infection. There's some interesting information about this relating to brown jelly disease. There's a few posts about this around here I recall. I understand this is not BJD, but the mechanism is similar with polyp bailout and other LPS demise.
You always have the option to simplify your marine experience by just having some rock, zoas, morphs, and fish. Don't give up.....simplify and build up again ove time. I suggest you dump all corals now showing any sign of recession. Good luck mate and it would be a pity if you bailed out....hang in there! :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Thanks guys. Nothing added in around 2 months.

What is doing my head in is I just don't know where the problem is or how to fix it.

Really puts me off wanting to buy anything nice in future if something like this cab happen

E

ezza

image.jpg

It sucks, but Cloudy is certain that after the storm, you will see a rainbow.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
What is convincing me to walk is purely financial.

Tank has cost me about 10k to set up.
I think close to 2k to stock it.
1k at least on repairs or failures.

$13000 on a tank that I am constantly fighting with and pouring more and more money into. The hammer I am losing now was $200! I just cannot consider restocking it all again once this passes knowing that for no real reason this could happen again in 6 months.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I was curious and did a bit of research. @Agent M is on the money with all the advice given.

Also found this advice on reef central: "Polyp bailout occurs when something interferes with the process of calcification. High phosphate, low calcium, low mag, low PH............... Once that happens the conditions required for calcification no longer exist at the base of the coral. It can no longer lay down new skeleton. "

Perhaps the damage has been done and now the strongest corals are just taking longer to bail out? Or, there has to be some continuing environmental stressor (lighting/flow/additive) that is causing the corals to decide they have to move from their position to survive.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
well lighting, flow etc has not changed in 8 months.

My problem was my calc was too high due to a dosing error. Since then I have changed over 1000L of NSW and everything is where it is, yet day in day out more corals are bailing.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
That's true Michelle but the polyps will never reattach - or so they say, and its hard to keep them in place. A lot of these LPS produce a lot of slime when the polyps are touched so it would be hard to keep them stationery to give them that chance to form a skeleton, if that is possible at all. The skeletons on the other hand could regrow over a few months of time if there is even a single cell of tissue remaining. Even if you have pulled the skeletons out of the tank already & they are dry, you can place them back in & see how they go.

My experience with LPS so far has been that most of the things that affect them are usually ongoing & once it has been corrected, they then recover - which is why I'm leaning towards an ongoing problem rather than an event (although a massive change in temp hot or cold would definitely have after effects). Brown jelly is very obvious to the naked eye & takes fast effect so we can rule that out IMO - if this is a worry, doing a coral dip is an option, although I have found that in the two times I have spotted the beginnings of it in my tank, I have simply blasted the BJ off with a powerhead & it has stopped the progress completely & recovered.

Something like lighting being on for too long each day could take a few months to affect them to the point where they start to bail, which is why I was asking. Lighting also affects pH levels which @holly 's post just reminded me of. If there is some sort of metal poisoning going on, a drop in pH increases the solubility of these metals. pH naturally drops at night when the lighting is off, which is why some like to keep a light on over the fuge to keep the levels steady.

Your parameters are spot on Ant, I'm pretty much at a loss as to how else to help you here and I think you know more than enough to spot the problem on your own - hopefully something someone has said in this thread will help.

My only other thoughts are: are you using anything on your arms & hands or spraying anything near the tank? Using anything topical? Do you use something in the shower on your skin that could be poisonous to the tank? I'm a little worried whatever is going on could affect your other inhabitants & this was the first warning sign. With polyp bail out there is no need to remove the skeletons from the tank as they won't affect anything. Maybe just to be sure hands out of the tank would be best for a few weeks.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
it is more removing the 'coral' as opposed to the skeleton. Dont want them to start to decompose.

No metals that I can see in the tank, would think inverts would be effected by that? Snails, stroms, shrimp fine.

Lighting is on 24/7 essentially, but on moonlights from 10pm-11am.

It is great to have you all here, it makes me want to fight, but seeing the tank makes me want to run!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Metals would affect them too, but the concentration levels could be slowly building.

Just imagine you're in a massage chair with Neo rubbing your temples, @MTG and @NiCd massaging the soles of each foot ever so soothingly & you'll stop running from the tank ;)

E

ezza

Have you considered maybe reducing your day light cycle to 8 hours with the moonlights the rest of the time?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
As the problem existed before them I doubt it.

Ready to sell up, at the point where I don't even want to get to the bottom of it now.

They were removed as some people were disliking for no reason...