Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
2 cardinals died today, officially done. Listing stock for sale tomorrow
Damn, sorry to hear that Ant - definitely going with toxicity now. Pull out any filtration media you have in there - even if its ceramic. Check the impellor shafts on your MP40's (not sure what they are made of). Check inside your return pump.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Wow that went downhill quickly. Seems like one of those phenomena that isn't understood fully yet, so really sucks that you were a victim. Even Eric Borneman didn't really pinpoint the cause in aquaria, from what I found anyway. Just that it is stress related.

Did you ever try removing the leather? It's a pretty beasty one, so if it did go into warfare mode could have a big impact?

My other thought is metal poisoning ... somehow? Anything at all in your tank that could be leaching?

I can't remember, but do you have a QT tank? I would be moving any remaining LPS to another tank, see if the problem continues. Given you have done a 100% water change there must be soemthing your tank causing this. Unless the NSW itself is affected?

Fishing for ideas now because I don't want to see you bailout of marine given how far you have come, but understand you feeling that way right now.

E

ezza

I would be really interested to know the source of the NSW. Especially if it is from Sydney. There is some horrible pollution around including heavy metals and dioxins. Surely trying ASW could fix any problems. Or if the NSW source was known, there would be ways to find info about water quality and chemical impurities from the water authority, local council or environmental agency. They might even like to know about quality issues. All assumptions. But I think trying ASW could be just one way to control a primary source of possible contention.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I am very skeptical about it being NSW. It doesnt just all of a sudden become contaminated. The NSW I have stored had been in the tank for months and then I used all the rest changing the water over then got another delivery and threw about 800L through the system. It is collected at Dolans Bay and many people in Sydney, including people on the forum use the same guy. I will not be adding ASW, no more money is going into this.

I doubt it is the pumps also, I had 2 of them die so replaced with 2 new eheims. This was before the system flush so if it were pumps corroding etc it should have stopped.

It could be toxins but I am running double carbon 24/7 changing every 3 days I would think that it would take care of most of it?

Only thing I cannot find a reason that rules it out is parasite/disease?

E

ezza

I would be interested in the others using the same guy just commenting on whether they have had any issues lately... I just like investigating thoroughly. Dog with a bone.

I am so sorry for your loss mate. Xxx

E

ezza

Copper is in alkalinity, calcium & magnesium supplements used in Two-Part supplements. We don’t want to add too much of these supplements at one time. This gives time for the organics in the water to attach the copper and make it less toxic. It also allows tome for the copper to bind to surfgaces like rock and sand, reducing its availability to most organisms. You want to use chemically pure supplements with the lowest levels of copper. Using deicers may be risky since we don’t know their copper level. You do not want to increase the calcium and magnesium level by more than 100 ppm using Two-Part supplements due to this type of concern about impurities.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Thank you, I have RO units, but a very nice gesture. I have the money to do it, I am choosing not too.

Dolans bay is safe for NSW, pretty much where everyone down here gets it from

E

ezza

*sigh* bummer. There goes that theory. Thank you for testing to satisfy my hyperactivity.

*huggle*

E

ezza

I might try to contact the authors of the study that produced these results and see what they say as to the suitability of this area for supplying NSW. Quite frankly... I wouldn't use it myself. It just isn't that pure.

http://www.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov....438/gunnamatta-contaminant-sediment-study.pdf

Table 5. Concentrations of acid-extractable metals in sediments, mg/kg – benthos sampling sites

Site

Al

Fe

Mn

Ag

As

Cd

Co

Cr

Cu

Ni

Pb

Zn
Dolans Bay Dolans Bay Dolans Bay Dolans Bay

D-1 D-2 D-3 D-4

5.8 6.1 4.6 7.7

<0.6 <0.6 <0.6 <0.6

<0.8 <0.8 0.9 2.5

<0.3 <0.3 <0.3 <0.3

0.4 0.5 0.5 0.8

0.73 1.1 1.4 2.3

5.5 11.4 38.7

0.6 0.9 0.8 1.2

7.3 12.3 20.9 53.5

17.7 23.3 36.5 64.2
a All samples are surface sediments (0-2 cm) b NM = not measured c ANZECC/ARMCANZ (2000) guideline values. d NA = not available

E

ezza

If your dosing malfunction caused the possibly minute metal traces to amplify in their toxicity it might have been enough to cause the die off. That's what it talks about in the first article... Bah. I wish I had access to a scientist in a lab.