Tank Journal Archive

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Hey @Cosby or @OSCAR85 - Any chance of a link to the recipe in question? I tried to search it but I'm not having much joy ;)

Looking good, @Cosby!! Loving the new additions!
I just grabbed half a kilo of marinara mix from Coles, then added some Nori sheets and a about 3 cloves of Garlic.
Blended them up and squeezed them flat into glad lock bags for freezing. I literally have enough food to last months now.

Add whatever else you like really(reef roids, mysis etc), but I was in a bit of a rush, as the Clowns were really struggling to eat the pellets I got when I purchased them, and as I'd had them for 2 days I was pretty keen to get something in their bellys.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I just grabbed half a kilo of marinara mix from Coles, then added some Nori sheets and a about 3 cloves of Garlic.
Blended them up and squeezed them flat into glad lock bags for freezing. I literally have enough food to last months now.

Add whatever else you like really(reef roids, mysis etc), but I was in a bit of a rush, as the Clowns were really struggling to eat the pellets I got when I purchased them, and as I'd had them for 2 days I was pretty keen to get something in their bellys.
I did this, but I also added a packet of everything from the frozen ocean nutrition range plus some amino acids. The fish and coral go nuts for it!

Cosby

May 14, 2013
A bunch of pics of my new stuff, and a full tank shit, just for @OSCAR85

Note that I have not really worried too much about cleaning my glass or corner weir at this point.

IMG_0602.JPG

My new Favia, under both blue and whites.
IMG_0600.JPG

favia.jpg

Purple and orange micromussa (doesn't do it justice)
micro.jpg

Red cushion
red.jpg

Gold Fungia
goldie.jpg

And my little 'canary' piece of green monti from @Buddy , to see how it's going to hold up ( so far, so good).
monti.jpg

I've got some more pics of my Zoas to come.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Hehehe!
I just assumed that the typo was on Cosby's side. I was tossing up between the comment I actually posted and a "Oh, common Cosby! The CADEs aren't THAT bad!!" :P lol

Cosby

May 14, 2013
@Dr. Schell I've found the two hitchhiker crabs I added to the tank with the live rock motionless and upside down on the sand this morning. What would you suggest could be the cause of this?
Is there anything I should test for?

All corals and clowns are looking happy.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
@Dr. Schell I've found the two hitchhiker crabs I added to the tank with the live rock motionless and upside down on the sand this morning. What would you suggest could be the cause of this?
Death, tiredness or just plain lazy!

keep an eye on them and if they don't move in 24h remove as they are dead! Not much you can do!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I should've been more clear. They are dead, or were dead. They currently inhabit the kitchen bin.
Apologies, I take things literally! Yes probably died in the cycle. Was there any damage to the shell that is likely to indicate a preditor? Were they freshly dead, or were they just exoskeletons (would indicate that they are growing larger). Crabs are very tough so they may still be in the tank and what you observed was just their 'shed' shells!

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Apologies, I take things literally! Yes probably died in the cycle. Was there any damage to the shell that is likely to indicate a preditor? Were they freshly dead, or were they just exoskeletons (would indicate that they are growing larger). Crabs are very tough so they may still be in the tank and what you observed was just their 'shed' shells!
Ok, you've had me sort through the bin, and upon looking at the bodies, they do in fact look to be hollow, and husks. The eyes completely missing from the rest of the shell, which may be the giveaway.