holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Creature Feature
Peppermint shrimp:
DSC_0230.jpg

'Mr' Abalone:
DSC_0121.jpg

One of the poor Nassarius snails which has become the latest victim in an apparent poaching effort from the female clown to feed her anemone (see missing 'nose'). :rage Doesn't help that the lawnmower blennie likes to sit on their face. Rubs insult into injury really.
DSC_0133.jpg

Attachments

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Those little white brittle stars that are living in your substrate in the tank where you took the fire anemones out of are awesome. They've started multiplying in my tank. Never had brittle stars breed so fast - on to a clean up crew winner there!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
excellent! I obtained them off some macro I got off the lovely Les. they are awesome little dudes. I'll have to make sure I get them into the macro tank.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
ps ± had to remove my six line wrasse from my overflow with a wet/dvy vacuum cleaner today. Silly bugger

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Coral goby has, for the second time this week, taken up residence in the overflow compartment in my tank. Now am just waiting for it to end up in the sump after a perhaps scary and dark ride down the overflow piping. What a doofus.
Looks like I might need another SPS colony to keep it happy as the yellow has stolen it's old home!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Added an orchid dottyback last week from @Fragalicious which I have not seen since. Based on what I know of their behaviour it's probably set up shop somewhere cave like and away from the crowds.
Pic from last week:
20140711_132030.jpg

I have a scribbled rabbitfish in QT I will be adding next week. It's been trialled on some bubble algae and gone crazy for it which is fantastic news!

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
They can certainly take a little while to settle, but I would have expected it to be out (well and truly!!) by now?? It's pretty hard keeping them away from food!! lol

Are there any other critters in there that could have bullied it/hurt it etc?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
They can certainly take a little while to settle, but I would have expected it to be out (well and truly!!) by now?? It's pretty hard keeping them away from food!! lol

Are there any other critters in there that could have bullied it/hurt it etc?
Oh damn :(
Other than the clowns nothing in there that is predatory. Could be in the overflow...I'll check it out

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
It's in the damn overflow chamber. *lesigh*
My wrasse would jump in to my overflow weekly...so annoying! I made an egg crate guard around my overflow.
Are the Dottybacks peaceful? I thought they were the Chiwawa of the fish world?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
My wrasse would jump in to my overflow weekly...so annoying! I made an egg crate guard around my overflow.
Are the Dottybacks peaceful? I thought they were the Chiwawa of the fish world?
I think they can be territorial with their cave but that's it. I'm going to have to do the same, the overflow chamber is pretty inaccessible unless I stick a wet/dry vac in there to get rid of most of the water. I made a pretty dodgy fish catcher with a drink bottle so lets hope if I feed it from there everyday I can catch it eventually.

Weekly jumping in there for me would mean it could live there :P

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
In other weird news regarding the ever disappearing orchid dottyback from @Fragalicious, it has jumped from one sump compartment to the return, and then (god knows how) made it's way through the return pump to the main display. :eek

How the hell it survived going through the pump, backflow stopping module thingy, and the outflow thingymibobs is beyond me. Completely beyond me. It seems to be healthy and swimming around like it's the most awesome fish in the world. I think it deserves some kind of magician name.

Well played little fishy, well played.:cool:

DSC00506.JPG

DSC00515.JPG

:cry
DSC00516.JPG

Last edited:

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
RIP Mr Abalone. You lived for 7 years and provided endless entertainment with your funny looking mouth. I wish you'd lasted more like the 50 years you were supposed to (according to this site anyway).

I have no idea why it perished - only found the shell :cry It was active and eating algae one week and then gone the next. These are the sad moments of fish keeping I guess! So long my sluggy friend!

An old photo of one of Mr Abalone parkor moments:
20140609_192058.jpg