Tank Journal Archive

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
Creatures living in this tank!
Trying out my DSLR which I barely use.

George the toby puffer (neon puffer). Got a bit of a bung eye on one side (glazed over). Both eyes were like that when I got him but one has cleared up. Very personable fish, always following and will spit water when he's hungry!

ai260.photobucket.com_albums_ii13_terrabyte89_IMG_0205_zpscb596697.jpg

Pulsing xenia is growing well. Hopefully absorbing some of the excess nutrients :)

ai260.photobucket.com_albums_ii13_terrabyte89_IMG_0198_zps415ab306.jpg

One of the three Blue and yellow damsels. Very pretty fish.

ai260.photobucket.com_albums_ii13_terrabyte89_IMG_0207_zps85420aba.jpg

Frank the snowflake eel. Still a baby, only around 1ft long. Very hungry and very exciting to watch. Feed him Squid and bait fish. Bait fish being his favourite food and will greedily eat 2-3 whole ones every 2 days.

ai260.photobucket.com_albums_ii13_terrabyte89_frank_zps6e1fef97.jpg

Older overall tank shot. Will try and get a new one sometime soon.

ai260.photobucket.com_albums_ii13_terrabyte89_2CF0FDA3_6884_42d0852459aad442ad2ea71f7b278a4fb1.jpg

Now I am aware that the tank is *very* heavily stocked. With both the eel and the puffer, (I'm pretty sure the damsels aren't contributing too much) I also do feed quite heavily. But that's why the tank runs 2 skimmers, Gets a 20% water change at least once a week (often twice). And runs powerful lighting in the sump with macro algae for nutrient export. Phosphates and Nitrates are slightly elevated but the water changes and macro keep them within reason and the fish are happy and healthy as far as I can tell.

Frank the eel will stay in this tank while he is growing up but he's also being tested in this tank for his aggressiveness towards other fish/crustaceans. So hopefully he can be moved to my larger reef system when he's larger.

So far my 3x damsels and 4x peppermint shrimp are all completely unharmed by both the eel and the puffer. Never seen them chased or stressed. The shrimp still come out for food and even sit close by Frank. The only close call has been Frank nearly bit George once, but this was because it was feeding time and George was trying to eat the baitfish and Frank got a little confused with which was attached to the feeding stick :P.