Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Cycled At Last
I never thought the nitrites were ever going to come down. They have been off the chart for a week and this morning ZERO.
IMG_1017.JPG
So now I feel like I have a reef tank and not just a continuing build.
Tested everything else: (I've been dosing Randy's all the while just to make sure that when the cycle finished the parameters would be at least close to what I wanted.)
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1300
Kh/Alk: 10.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Phosphates: 0.10
pH: 8.36
I realise the Randy's dosing will need to increase once the corals go in but at least the parameters aren't going to be a shock for them.
I might do a water change first then maybe try dosing some NoPoX for the rest of the week to see if it brings down the Nitrates and Phos. I'm not too concerned. I don't usually run zero phos, I've always been happy with around the .03 mark which is what the NSW is I collect anyway.
I have a buyer for the Cade, (lock, stock and barrel) which is a huge relief. So probably around the end of the week I'll be moving the rocks, corals and my beautiful flame angel over the new tank. Still have to find a home for the pair of clowns, may have to end up taking them to Ben at Atlas and see if he can move them on.
I meant to mention before that when I had really high phosphates at the start, I tried Continuum phos-correx.
This stuff works brilliantly, it knocked off the phosphates in a day. Also a mate tried it in his fully stocked tank without a single ill effect. Great product to keep on hand.

I never thought the nitrites were ever going to come down. They have been off the chart for a week and this morning ZERO.
View attachment 51433
So now I feel like I have a reef tank and not just a continuing build.
Tested everything else: (I've been dosing Randy's all the while just to make sure that when the cycle finished the parameters would be at least close to what I wanted.)
Calcium: 470
Magnesium: 1300
Kh/Alk: 10.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Phosphates: 0.10
pH: 8.36
I realise the Randy's dosing will need to increase once the corals go in but at least the parameters aren't going to be a shock for them.
I might do a water change first then maybe try dosing some NoPoX for the rest of the week to see if it brings down the Nitrates and Phos. I'm not too concerned. I don't usually run zero phos, I've always been happy with around the .03 mark which is what the NSW is I collect anyway.
I have a buyer for the Cade, (lock, stock and barrel) which is a huge relief. So probably around the end of the week I'll be moving the rocks, corals and my beautiful flame angel over the new tank. Still have to find a home for the pair of clowns, may have to end up taking them to Ben at Atlas and see if he can move them on.
I meant to mention before that when I had really high phosphates at the start, I tried Continuum phos-correx.
This stuff works brilliantly, it knocked off the phosphates in a day. Also a mate tried it in his fully stocked tank without a single ill effect. Great product to keep on hand.
Big day tomorrow mate!! Looking forward to getting this beut of a tank going.