Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Cyclones Suck
we have been through a category 2 cyclone at home. We lost power yesterday morning and it's been off ever since. I have lost a clown fish, my blue tang, my wrasse, the lipstick tang and fox face are floating near the water surface to get oxygen.

My back is now severely injured. I have nerve impingement, I can barely walk and struggle to stand after sitting etc.

We have no phone, Internet, or power. We're currently in the car driving to my husband's grandparents retirement village. His mum and dad had been completely cut off from humanity until this morning. They finally got out after wires and trees were cleared and showed up at our house to let us know they were ok and that they were going to Nana's.

There is nothing I can do regarding my aquarium, I have no battery backup. I couldn't go to work today, my daughters school is shut...

It's been an exhausting experience.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Ezza. Get a large jug. Dip it into tank ,fill it , raise it as high as youcan above water & dump it. Higher the better. Will create some oxygen & movement. Might be just enough to get them by. Any chance some one near you had generator they could lend you ? Or babysit your fish for a while ? So sorry !!!!!!!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Ezza. Get a large jug. Dip it into tank ,fill it , raise it as high as youcan above water & dump it. Higher the better. Will create some oxygen & movement. Might be just enough to get them by. Any chance some one near you had generator they could lend you ? Or babysit your fish for a while ? So sorry !!!!!!!
Not sure if she can handle that with the condition her back is in, but if someone else can do it then it's a good idea. hopefully your fish make it through! Just for future reference, you can get battery powered air pumps that you stick directly in to the aquarium.

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
we have been through a category 2 cyclone at home. We lost power yesterday morning and it's been off ever since. I have lost a clown fish, my blue tang, my wrasse, the lipstick tang and fox face are floating near the water surface to get oxygen.

My back is now severely injured. I have nerve impingement, I can barely walk and struggle to stand after sitting etc.

We have no phone, Internet, or power. We're currently in the car driving to my husband's grandparents retirement village. His mum and dad had been completely cut off from humanity until this morning. They finally got out after wires and trees were cleared and showed up at our house to let us know they were ok and that they were going to Nana's.

There is nothing I can do regarding my aquarium, I have no battery backup. I couldn't go to work today, my daughters school is shut...

It's been an exhausting experience.
A generator on hand is a handy thing to have.

Or a vortech pump with battery backup.

Might be insurance for the future.

In mean time, agitation of the water might help.

Good luck :)

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
See if you can find a live bait airator.
They run off DD batteries and will help until power comes back on.
I've used mine many times over the years. Have a generator now.
Living up here in Cairns we get our fair share of power loss.
Hope it all works out for you.

E

ezza

I tried agitating the water with a football pump with an airline attached. Also just swishing the water. The fish died. There was nothing we could do. We lost power, phone and Internet. We don't have the money for a generator now- and they sold out from burnings by 9am Tuesday. I would love a battery operated aerator- and I will try to get one when we have more than $20 in the bank and facing bills totaling $12000+ in the next week. This storm was so intense it just took us all by surprise. Even my husband- and he's a meteorologist.

My nerves have become impinged to my legs and the last few days have been some of the most challenging of my life. I feel excruciating pain all the time.

We have power again now. It was off for 30+hrs. I removed the dead fish and we buried them under the lemon tree. We had a cry and said what we loved about the fish.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
If you have any fish left, and if you have a bath tub, place them in the bath tub to gain surface area.

Very sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Oh Ezza. I am so very sorry. Words can not not convey my thoughts for you right now. :(. Sorry.

E

ezza

If you have any fish left, and if you have a bath tub, place them in the bath tub to gain surface area.

Very sorry to hear of your circumstances.
The power came back on around 5pm. I wouldn't have been able to catch the remaining fish- they were all hiding in the rocks.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Those are beautiful fish...
Thank you very much. They were each very special.

E

ezza

Thanks guys. The tank looks empty now with very little movement that the fish had provided. I'm thinking about what I want to do now.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks guys. The tank looks empty now with very little movement that the fish had provided. I'm thinking about what I want to do now.
@ezza Did your lipstick tang survive ?
I am truly sorry for you loss, an empty tank under these circumstances is unimaginable. :(

E

ezza

Yes, my lipstick tang, fox face, yellow coral goby, lawnmower blenny, one occy clown, two chromis.

The tang and foxy are very wary of me now. I think they know very much that their friends have gone and are fearful that I will do something to them maybe. They spend all their time hiding.

I would very much like to replace the fish asap to return some balance to the tank.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Well at least thats some good news. Doubt they are scared of you, they have just been through a bit of trauma is all. Give it time they will come good. Glad to hear not everything was lost.

E

ezza

Yes, it is a relief to still have some fish. I just adore fish. It's a bit random... Sometimes I wonder how I came to like fish so much to have so many of them around my house. It's so pervasive, my daughter's first word was "fish".

A friend said he has some air pumps on the way for me too. I will look into buying a generator when we have the money.