Off-Topic

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Dad wants a laptop
Dads buying a laptop next week,so I said hold of until I ask around.I have a asus atm.But I would never buy one again have had a fair bit of trouble with it.He's looking to around the $1500 mark.My mate has a toshiba and he likes it.So any recommendations are welcome.

Cheers Mat.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
sony viaos are nice. hp are nice. i also like the xps dells.

toshiba...... never again. thought i would learn with the first 3 duds :P

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Ye
sony viaos are nice. hp are nice. i also like the xps dells.

toshiba...... never again. thought i would learn with the first 3 duds :p
Yeh im not much of a toshiba man either.Sony make some nice gear.He doesnt need the fastest or with the biggest card in it just needs to be easy and reliable to use.While im at what is a good base PC tower to upgrade later.Links are good.Ive been looking on fleabay,but im not confident in what to buy.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Toshiba rock. I've really liked them for a long time*. There was a period a few years ago where they had some horrible hinge designs that caused some serious problems (none of them cheap). Most of the old consumer models were good, though some of their price point models (ie. around $1000 were a bit ordinary). I only see the business grade ones these days, and most of those are pretty sweet, though their bundled software gets a little annoying. Toshiba have always been very, very good with support and warranty.

Some of HPs more recent designs have been fairly sweet. Vaios are usually pretty but damn you wind up paying for those suckers. The Dell/Alienware jobbies are pretty serious, but then so are their price tags.

* Long time being since the 1990s. Admits that my current work computer is a Toshiba laptop. Actually quite fond of it, though I may have removed quite a few Toshiba system apps as they're too intrusive (and by intrusive, they pop up at annoying times and do things that irritate me).

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Qosmios have been flag ship models for Toshiba, and usually well pimped out. I wouldn't mind that on my desk. I would be trying to confirm if this is Australian stock instead of parallel/grey imported stock - warranties are a funny thing. Some companies accept them globally. Some won't - so it'd be a bugger to find out that the warranty is there, but only valid in Japan or something silly.

The hinge issue Toshiba had years ago - the hinges were actually binding with the tension screw thing, which caused them to very slowly tighten as the lid was opened and closed. That in turn transferred more pressure back to the plastic shell around the screen. The plastic was reasonably strong, but was never designed to cope with pressure, so they started to crack. People didn't take notice of the fact that their laptops were hard to open, so they just keep using more force to open them.
The original problem was easy to fix - you could loosen them right off, then get them back to where they should be + have a little lube on them to stop the binding issue. Of course, most people just put up until the damage was visible.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
1-Year Standard Manufacturer Limited Warranty

Enjoy peace of mind with our standard 1-year limited warranty, featuring 7x24 toll-free telephone support, mail-in warranty service via the Toshiba Depot, carry-in warranty service via Authorized Service Providers, plus online support via the Toshiba Internet website.

So if you walk into a toshiba dealer its covered?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Toshiba rock. I've really liked them for a long time*. There was a period a few years ago where they had some horrible hinge designs that caused some serious problems (none of them cheap). Most of the old consumer models were good, though some of their price point models (ie. around $1000 were a bit ordinary). I only see the business grade ones these days, and most of those are pretty sweet, though their bundled software gets a little annoying. Toshiba have always been very, very good with support and warranty.

Some of HPs more recent designs have been fairly sweet. Vaios are usually pretty but damn you wind up paying for those suckers. The Dell/Alienware jobbies are pretty serious, but then so are their price tags.

* Long time being since the 1990s. Admits that my current work computer is a Toshiba laptop. Actually quite fond of it, though I may have removed quite a few Toshiba system apps as they're too intrusive (and by intrusive, they pop up at annoying times and do things that irritate me).
the home ones are no good. although the business model toshias are well built. xps are well priced these days

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
1-Year Standard Manufacturer Limited Warranty

Enjoy peace of mind with our standard 1-year limited warranty, featuring 7x24 toll-free telephone support, mail-in warranty service via the Toshiba Depot, carry-in warranty service via Authorized Service Providers, plus online support via the Toshiba Internet website.

So if you walk into a toshiba dealer it's covered?
you have to send it away usualy . is usualy fixed in under 2 weeks

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That block of text brings to light a couple of concerns:

7x24 - we don't say it like that. We say 24x7
Toshiba Depot - is an American repair centre normally. Google that. You won't like the results.
Authorized Service Providers - "Authorized" is American spelling. Toshiba's Australian product sheets know that.
This block of text reads like some American rubbish.

The question of whether it's Australian stock, and whether it's covered by Toshiba Australia are still worth asking. That section you copied it from appears itself to be a copy and paste from an American site. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If the seller gets snarly, then you know its a risky deal.

But you *must* ask if it's warranty is covered by Toshiba Australia. Again, just because an item has warranty, doesn't mean that it's covered here. That's something that would be nice to know before you hand over the hard earned.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Im definitely not a dell guy,friends have had them with heaps of little problems.The service is great tho,so they say.But dad would get the shirts and throw it out the window lol.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
That block of text brings to light a couple of concerns:

7x24 - we don't say it like that. We say 24x7
Toshiba Depot - is an American repair centre normally. Google that. You won't like the results.
Authorized Service Providers - "Authorized" is American spelling. Toshiba's Australian product sheets know that.
This block of text reads like some American rubbish.

The question of whether it's Australian stock, and whether it's covered by Toshiba Australia are still worth asking. That section you copied it from appears itself to be a copy and paste from an American site. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If the seller gets snarly, then you know it's a risky deal.

But you *must* ask if it's warranty is covered by Toshiba Australia. Again, just because an item has warranty, doesn't mean that it's covered here. That's something that would be nice to know before you hand over the hard earned.
Thats cool was more interested in the brand and what it has to offer not that I was going to buy one off fleabay,but I might shoot them of a email and ask.Thanks DavidS.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Really ok ill go and have another look,I just freak out as im the one dad goes of at when something goes wrong lol.
any brand will break. some use better quality control then others. the XPS models were allways of a higher standard. sony viaos seem to last ages to.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Ok Matt this is what I ended up with.Would you make any changes?I increased the speed and a added a few things.
http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellst...&c=au&l=en&s=dhs&cs=audhs1&model_id=xps-l702x
looks fine mate. for home use people only need an i5 with 4GB ram.
if your a heavy user with photoshop etc bump it up to 8GB and an i7
and if he wants absolute speed doesent mind a drop in space. go buy a cruical m4 or intell 128GB ssd and put it in yourself. i could never have a pc without a SSD now

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
looks fine mate. for home use people only need an i5 with 4GB ram.
if your a heavy user with photoshop etc bump it up to 8GB and an i7
and if he wants absolute speed doesent mind a drop in space. go buy a cruical m4 or intell 128GB ssd and put it in yourself. i could never have a pc without a SSD now
Cool ill let him know.Plus ill be using it aswell LOL.