Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Dammit!!!
Massive power failure in our unit block caused the tank to be off for a few hours, I left work as soon as I found out the news to hook up the battery air pumps. The electrician managed to fix the main cable within a few hours.
The tank dropped a few degrees and then when power was restored the dissolved solution from the calcium reactor clouded the tank.
Ok so not too bad - One yellow Tenius decided it was a great time to RTN , I pulled it out the tank and in doing what I thought was a bright idea at the time ,to blast the rest of the corals with the power head... I managed to suck up my bloody expensive 24 carat torch and turn it into mince !!!!:banghead What a dumb ass!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Cheers guys should be all good I hope. Gave the tank a huge hit of amino acid last night - then to top it all my wife asks me the question as to why I don't have a ph controller on the calcium reactor:D

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
IMG_1094.JPG

Close shave on two heads!!
No RTN on the rest of the tank. Hope to get my hands on the new Sustainable Reef suppliments and vitamins in the next week.Thier range will be hitting the stores and my tank soon!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Ouch... what a bummer. In the planning, I have been asked several times if I plan to put in a back-up system in case of power outages. After living in Asia for 3o years, where it is given, I thought no need here, as we have never had more than a 2 second outage... but now you make me think.
Making good progress with a builder now. Up date later
Jac

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ouch... what a bummer. In the planning, I have been asked several times if I plan to put in a back-up system in case of power outages. After living in Asia for 3o years, where it is given, I thought no need here, as we have never had more than a 2 second outage... but now you make me think.
Making good progress with a builder now. Up date later
Jac
I live next door to a hospital so the infrastructure is regarding electricity is on point..... one half hour power outage in 12 years is a bloody good track record only to be broken by a cable fault in our building. Never expected it to happen.
Yes a certain level of responsibility is required when looking after our precious fish and coral, and that leads to building back up and redundancy in our systems.
I have small fish so at no stage were they gasping for air at the surface, I think a temp drop was almost unavoidable, a ph probe to shut down the reactor is something I have had on the bucket list for a very long time but never got round to ordering.