Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Danger Of Wave Surges In Aquarium
I am going to be using a Tunze Comline WaveBox 6208 when I set up my new aquarium.

You regularly see comments stating that wave surges, whether from a WaveBox or other type of pumps that can create waves, can put stress on the aquarium joins.

I can understand that the wave would put some additional stress on the joins when compared to a normal propeller pump, but is it enough to cause a problem?

Has anyone ever heard of an aquarium actually failing due to the use of one of these products?

Or is this just a case of people being overly cautious :rolleyes

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
that exact same thought is what has also stopped me getting a wave box.

also the additional load on the stand. They are usually designed to support weight down, not force rocking side to side.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I built my stand, and I am not concerned about it rocking - I reckon it could support 10 times the current weight and still not move :)

@Dr. Schell used one in his tank without any issues.

Whilst I haven't searched extensively, I have not found one reference to a tank failing due to wave surges.

Back in the early days of reef keeping the DIY people were building their own surge devices - anyone remember the Carlson Surge Device or the Borneman Surge Device :rolleyes

I am sure that tanks are a lot stronger now than they were then.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Have you run a calculator to check the safety factor on your tank?

I dont know the maths behind it but I remember reading somewhere that if your tank is built with a safety factor of 5+ all good, 3 or less - not the best idea

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
wow, i didn't know that waves can put so much pressure to aquarium join ... isn't the concept is similar to wavemakers, where it's 'sort of pulsating' and simulate 'waves-like' movement ....

oh well, just a comment ... not really helpful comment too LOL. I'll keep following this thread.

I know Aquaristic Beaconsfield (NSW) has one in its CADE HL600 setup ... although not sure which type of Tunze wavebox and it's been running for quite a while now.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Have you run a calculator to check the safety factor on your tank?

I dont know the maths behind it but I remember reading somewhere that if your tank is built with a safety factor of 5+ all good, 3 or less - not the best idea
The tank is 120 x 60 x 54 made with 10mm glass with a top and bottom euro brace.

I'm not sure how the euro braces compare to standard bracing (I couldn't find a calculator that factored this in) but I calculated a safety factor of 3.68 - the calculator, an excel spreadsheet - can be found here.

12mm glass would have been required to achieve a safety factor of 5.

I still haven't been able to find any reports of tanks failing due to the use of a wavemaker ...

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
My tank is a CADE 200l, I have it set to strong wave mode for half of the day, for over 1.5y.
I can't see any signs of stress on silicone, but it doesn't mean it isn't happening. I got a bit scared and might slow it down a bit :P

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The tank is 120 x 60 x 54 made with 10mm glass with a top and bottom euro brace.

I'm not sure how the euro braces compare to standard bracing (I couldn't find a calculator that factored this in) but I calculated a safety factor of 3.68 - the calculator, an excel spreadsheet - can be found here.

12mm glass would have been required to achieve a safety factor of 5.

I still haven't been able to find any reports of tanks failing due to the use of a wavemaker ...
I would have thought the bracing would put you a the 5x mark

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I know of a 6x2x3 runnind a wavemaker for 8 years with no issues. That was with one large wave going back and forth (if that makes any sense) with a 5 hour rest period at night. Not sure of the glass gauge although he did put extra bracing on the cabinet.
Thats alot of weight going back and forth.

Coralfarmer

Jul 20, 2015
I remember when magnetic wave makers first came on the market and there were quite a few instances of these pumps cracking the sides of tanks [mine included] I think this is more to do with the strength of the magnet and the ramping up and down of the motor that puts stress on the glass itself and NOT the wave putting pressure on the silicone joins...