Tank Journal Archive

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Daniel's 2x1x1 reef scape
Hey guys! my first ever reef tank! with lots of help from the reefuge community :D creating a piece of nature and having it in your own house for people to enjoy :)

Reefing Since:

System Objectives:
simple reef scape, with a touch of love :P

Type of reef:
softies/LPS and some SPS

Display System:
Glass
approx 55 litres

Initial Fill Date:
3rd of feb

Display Tank Dimensions:
60cmx30cmx30cm

Display Lighting:
illumagic comboray LED lighting

Lighting schedule about 8-12 hours, then 2-3 hours under blue LEDS (planning to get a timer and have a 9 hour schedule under full light and 2 under blue LED) a controller will be available for this unit somewhere MID this year.

Stand:
Pine table

Hood or Rimless:
rimless

Sump Design:
N/A

Filtration:
Live Rock, DSB

Support systems:
my bank account :P

NSW or ASW:
ASW, Red sea coral pro salt

Display Water circulation:
Tunze nano stream 6015 1,800 L/H

Return Pump:
N/A

Skimmer:

Tunze DOC 9002 nano skimmer

Evaporation Top Up:
manual, but lookinf at ATO pump that will fit in a 25 litre water drum

Chemical additions:
N/A For now, will update when system is running.

Calcium Addition:
Alkilinity Addition:
Magnesium Addition:
Prodibiotics Addition:
Coral Food Addition:

here is a FTS of what it looks like and some close ups after 3 months. apologies for the algae >.<

FTS reef.jpg

1367043829446.jpg

1367043832602.jpg

1367043838085.jpg

1367043839425.jpg

1367043840895.jpg

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
nice. I really like damsels, just not their behavior. Once it all settles down you have great room for some coral there
thanks @aussieant32 :) im looking at getting a timer for my light which i can get from jaycar electronics. i think they're about $30 from memory. im planning on sticking zoas on that archway-shaped rock with some aqua knead it. looking out for some nice frags. will wait a bit though. i also need a ATO top up pump that will fit in a 25 L container. the hole is only bout 5cm in diameter. can i found anything that will fit?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
tunze osmolator might fit. Why such a small hole?
thats the size of the hole for the lid. its pretty much the container that LFS's give you to put your NSW or ASW in. i could go something cheaper but because the hole is so small the evaporation wont be as much

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
What you do it get a container that is solely for the ATO pump, put a hole in the lid for the hose to go through, then the pump stays in the container. Then you connect the hose to the pump, fill with water, lid on, rinse and repeat when she is almost empty. No evaporation :)

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
can i find a pump small enough to fit in such a small hole though? thanks for all the advice :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
get a container it will fit. Don't worry about using the one the LFS sell, use that to transport the water. Go to bunnings and get a bucket or something that has a lid, easy :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
thats the size of the hole for the lid. its pretty much the container that LFS's give you to put your NSW or ASW in. i could go something cheaper but because the hole is so small the evaporation wont be as much
They dont fit by about 1mm :rolleyes

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I got a 30l container from bunnings with a big screw on water tight lid. I drilled holes in the side for the tube and wire so I can leave the lid on and the water doesnt evaporate. Ive been using it for about 6 months now its great, I just need a bigger container now!

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
I got a 30l container from bunnings with a big screw on water tight lid. I drilled holes in the side for the tube and wire so I can leave the lid on and the water doesnt evaporate. Ive been using it for about 6 months now its great, I just need a bigger container now!
where abouts on the side? where the lid is or the actual container? if you did drill the container, how do you stop it from leaking? haha

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Drilled in the top next to the lid (poor choice of words in the previous post sorry!), obviously I only put in about 29l when I fill it lol.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
haha i was going to say "where do i buy these magic 30 L containers" :P sounds awesome! what kind of ATO pump are you using?