Tank Journal Archive

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
oh thats a gold hammer mate :) and its kind of a pinkish/orangish under full lights. its really cool :) want to add another color but unsure as to what to add. i was thinking like a fluro yellow hammer. dont know many other colors haha. saw a gold torch today. soooo tempted to buy it but i refrained and held my composure. proud moment if i do say so myself :')

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
my hammer cost me $55. thats about the price you'd pay for one :) ill get my equipment first before getting any more corals. would you happen to know if a phosban 150 phosphate reactor can work without a sump? or would i be better off just dosing brightwell phosphate E to maintain phosphate levels at zero for sps?

@OSCAR85

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
yeah thats what i thought. i was thinking of putting it under the table and hooking a tube running to the DT from the return outlet and running a small powerhead powerful enough to bring the water from the reactor back into the tank. its starting to get crowded under that table now with the little bin that i will soon be using as a reservoir for my ATO system. need to make a hanging kit for my illumagic lights too. had an sps coral in my tank bleach and im pretty certain its because its too close to the lights. thinking of raising it about 150mm-200mm or so

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
ive got a small algae issue and the tank has been running for 4 months so doubt its still cycling. nitrite and nitrates are no longer an issue, and if i want sps corals in there i gottam ake sure thos phosphates are down and not having to rely on doing more than one 15% water change a week. i could just go with using the birghtwell phosphat-E and see how that goes. what do you think?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
soooo, i got a heap of goodies from K&J today. only put the order through yesterday and got it first thing in the morning. now that's service! got all my test kits for calcium, magnesium and phosphate. i also got my prize for winning the reefuge comp, which was reef-roids. and also got my hnds on a hanging kit from illumagic, which also came from ken and jen. and im happy to report that magnesium levels are where they should be, likewise with calcium, phosphate and nitrate :) alk is at 8 or so which is a little low. im aiming for an alk reading of 9-12.
got myself an acro frag just to test how it goes with the lights slightly raised. the birds nest i have looks better and better by the day, which is promising.
pics to come :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
soooo, i got a heap of goodies from K&J today. only put the order through yesterday and got it first thing in the morning. now that's service! got all my test kits for calcium, magnesium and phosphate. i also got my prize for winning the reefuge comp, which was reef-roids. and also got my hnds on a hanging kit from illumagic, which also came from ken and jen. and im happy to report that magnesium levels are where they should be, likewise with calcium, phosphate and nitrate :) alk is at 8 or so which is a little low. im aiming for an alk reading of 9-12.
got myself an acro frag just to test how it goes with the lights slightly raised. the birds nest i have looks better and better by the day, which is promising.
pics to come :)
Great! K&J are great.
what is your phos and nitrate on?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
used a salifert phosphate test kit and the water came up clear. so it's as close to 0 as possible. nitrates are at zero too :) once i get my tunze osmolator, im thinking of getting the phosban Phosphate reactor and running bio pellets in it. that way it can take care of phosphates and nitrates, which will be good for fish and corals in the long run (especially SPS)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
used a salifert phosphate test kit and the water came up clear. so it's as close to 0 as possible. nitrates are at zero too :) once i get my tunze osmolator, im thinking of getting the phosban Phosphate reactor and running bio pellets in it. that way it can take care of phosphates and nitrates, which will be good for fish and corals in the long run (especially SPS)
If your phos is 0 you don't need it.
Just use a liquid binder like phos E