Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Day 9
Yep getting closer than I thought.....
Since I added no live rock to start this off I guess things have taken a bit longer than usual. I haven't done any water testing but had a great sign this morning.

Big bacteria bloom- the skimmer is working overtime cleaning up. Filled half a skimmer cup during the night...

So yeah I am really pleased with this.
Furthermore I had no diatom bloom or algea bloom yet. Prob due once again to no live rock.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Sounds like everything is going swell.

Do you really want to clean up the bacterial bloom with the skimmer though? I know there will be plenty flowing pass, but I reckon let the tank run without the skimmer for a while, to allow plenty of bacteria to distribute themselves all over the setup. :)

Then turn the skimmer on again. :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sounds like everything is going swell.

Do you really want to clean up the bacterial bloom with the skimmer though? I know there will be plenty flowing pass, but I reckon let the tank run without the skimmer for a while, to allow plenty of bacteria to distribute themselves all over the setup. :)

Then turn the skimmer on again. :)
It's boom and bust in my opinion. I am of the opinion that the skimmer is removing dead bacteria. ( but how the skimmer can tell the difference I don't know, lol )
I have no idea how long they live for but I guess in a day or two the water will sparkle again.

Last edited:
E

ezza

You're Zeovitting yes? Week 2 says you added "the bacteria", I was trying to recall whether you used a prawn or peed in it... But "the bacteria" is probably more technical and expensive than that. I'm sure this tank will be as amazing as Aitutaki, if not more so.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
You're Zeovitting yes? Week 2 says you added "the bacteria", I was trying to recall whether you used a prawn or peed in it... But "the bacteria" is probably more technical and expensive than that. I'm sure this tank will be as amazing as Aitutaki, if not more so.
Cheers- no prawn and no golden showers here.
Simply a $70 blue bottle of bacteria 10ml day 1 and then 4 drops from day 4 till infinity.
Prob get to reduce the dose as the tank gets into the next phase. I added some Seachem Stability also a bacteria to help cycle.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Excuse my ignorance....why no live rock ?
Marcus, you and I were never destined to be average aquarists.....

To be honest I find it painful trying to piece liverock together to form some sort of fragile hard scape. My preferences is working with dry base rock, cementing it all together and making it super stable.

One time I got great quality live rock. This stuff was green!!!! It had a ton of different algae , sponges, worms, shrimp, crabs etc etc. That Aussie hand collected stuff is expensive.

The previous build I did with dry base rock they called it Tonga Base Rock.
From what my sources told me is that AQIS
Are no longer allowing the importation of Base rock to australia.

Sure I can get my hands on some pieces of ordinary rock but that's not what I wanted, i kinda wanted those flat table top pieces that everyone building a SPS tank uses.

Then it dawned on me that everyone has a rock wall, or flat table top or bomie aquascape.
Then I thought about AQIS ....
I thought about my previous tanks and I kind of felt guilty about wasting all those rocks I used over the years.
So I built my own.
I am really not so sure if it is better for the environment to build your own or pick them off a reef.

Last edited: