Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Desktop Computer Upgrade
As I have been having some issues recently, I have decided to hand over some of my hard earned to upgrade my computer.

After talking to MTG today this is what I am looking at:

1 x Intel 330 120GB SSD $95.00
1 x Intel CPU Core i5 3570 - LGA 1155 $204.00
1 x G.SKILL DDR3 8GB (2X4GB) PC-12800/1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Ram $45.00
1 x Asus P8B75-M Intel Mainboard - LGA 1155 $75.00

As I haven't done much gaming for a few years now my thinking is that the Intel HD 4000 in the CPU will suffice - good thinking, or not??

Or should I spend another $100 a get a graphics card, like the Gigabyte RADEON HD 7750 1GB??

I will be ordering this tonight so be quick with any opinions!!

DavidS I will be waiting ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Status Launched
Launch Date Q2'12
Processor Number i5-3570
# of Cores 4
# of Threads 4
Clock Speed 3.4 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.8 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache 6 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 34
DMI 5 GT/s
Instruction Set 64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.1/4.2, AVX
Embedded Options Available
aark.intel.com_sites_sitewide_pix_icons_search_16w.gif No
Lithography 22 nm
Max TDP 77 W

Graphics Specifications
Processor Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 2500

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
graphics card won't hurt. Don't need to burn a hole in your wallet for it. You Winblows users need all the graphics help you can get with win7 :P

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
graphics card won't hurt. Don't need to burn a hole in your wallet for it. You Winblows users need all the graphics help you can get with win7 :p
the inbuilt graph in the 4000 series is fine for what he would do :D in bench's and test it actualy surpassed alot of 80$ video cards!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
OK, so I get the i5 3570k for $233, or get a i5 3470 for $189 and spend $100 on a graphics card??
You'd be fine with the built in. I doubt you're going to be pushing it seriously hard, and in comparison to what you're used to, it's all going to perform better! I'm just an old fart that remembers when motherboards starting shipping with everything onboard, they were considered cheap shit, and performed like it :P

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i max out my 8GB when photoediting, no issues tho just close down some opened images,
shane id go the K and pair it with a z77 board :D (better quality and much more features)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
You'd be fine with the built in. I doubt you're going to be pushing it seriously hard, and in comparison to what you're used to, it's all going to perform better! I'm just an old fart that remembers when motherboards starting shipping with everything onboard, they were considered cheap shit, and performed like it :p
its crazy how fast things change, you can render bluray and full HD fine on small onboard video these days, the 4000 series is VERY impressivem cant wait to see what comes out next, hopefully they stick the 4000 series in the lower end chips next gen it will be perfect for my media center!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have bought more expensive MB's in the past with the intention to overclock, but never got around to it:rolleyes

What does the Z77 have that I would use ?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I have bought more expensive MB's in the past with the intention to overclock, but never got around to it:rolleyes

What does the Z77 have that I would use ?
unlocked, higher quality capacitors, seem to last longer , sata 6gbps (for ssd)
shiz like that

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nah I do just fine with a couple of laptops, one for work one for home. I don't have a tablet either :p

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Nah I do just fine with a couple of laptops, one for work one for home. I don't have a tablet either :p
I spent a week putting up with my laptop during the move. Never been so damn glad to get a PC back up and running so I could have all 3 22" LCDs back where I need em.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I placed my order with a well known computer parts retailer on the evening of 13/11/12. I had dealt with this retailer on a few occasions when I lived in Melbourne and had no problems so I had the same expectation with their on-line store. Payment was made via Paypal.

It needs to be said that I carefully selected the components based on the fact that, according to their web site, they had stock.

This is a timeline of subsequent events:

15/11 - email received confirming receipt of payment. My order was updated to 'Processing'. No problems so far.
16/11 - checked the on-line status and everything is showing as on back order from the supplier. Email sent asking why, when all items were showing as being in stock.
19/11 - Reply received referring me to a FAQ titled 'How do I know if the product is in stock'. They indicated that 4 of the 6 items ordered were on order and should arrive within the next few working days. Email sent querying why those items they did have were not showing as 'Reserved'. Starting to get pissed now!!.
20/11 Reply received referring me to the same FAQ as before. Indicated that stock is only reserved when payment is confirmed. Anyone following along may have noted that payment had been confirmed on 15/11 !!
21/11 All items are now showing as 'Reserved' except for a Intel SSD. Sent an email requesting a swap of the SSD for a Corsair just so I could get everything posted. Requested that they phone me to organise the extra payment (the Corsair was $14 dearer) and to make sure everything was posted on 22/2.
22/11 Reply received confirming that the SSD had been swapped but 1) they couldn't contact a customer by phone (they referred me to another FAQ); 2) they made a mistake in reserving another item and that it was on order from their supplier and that it should arrive in a few days; and 3) I owed them $14. At this stage I noticed that the original Intel SSD was back in stock and requested that they revert to the original order - they completely ignored this request.
25/11 Payment of the additional amount made via Paypal.
26/11 Email received confirming additional payment and that order would be updated to 'Processing'. Checked online and status is still showing as 'Awaiting Payment'.
27/11 Emailed regarding the status - reply received indicating that the status would be updated to 'Processing'.
28/11 Status changed to dispatched. Hopefully, it will arrive soon.

This whole saga was mildly humorous for the first few days, but it began to wear thin moving into the second week, and more so in the third week.

Surely, with the maturity of the on-line marketplace it is not unreasonable to expect that goods would be posted within 2 or 3 days of payment being confirmed.

I honestly could not believe the incompetence of these people and would have cancelled my order a week ago if I thought I would get a speedy return of my payment.

Anyway, hopefully the package will arrive before the weekend (although I am not confident) and I will able to access The Reefuge in something better than 'Safe Mode' on my computer.