General Diatoms, Dino's Or Something Else???

Discussion in 'General Reef Related Discussion' started by Fmxchick, Jun 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Fmxchick

Fmxchick Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    IMG_0130.JPG Hi all, question about what's going on in the tank. Have noticed in the last couple weeks that there are quite a few micro bubbles in the tank, seemingly forming from the rocks and sand bed. On closer inspection I also noticed that there are lots of bubbles trapped within the sand bed and have been getting a fine brown algae and green algae on a lot of my rocks. Usually I'd put it down to a diatom bloom (have my fingers crossed it is) but the amount of bubbles on top of the algae is making me worry.
    Parameters all seem to be in check, 2 weeks ago Nitrates were up a little ( my own fault for over feeding), did a big 50% WC and another 25% last weekend but unsure as to what I should be doing to get rid of whatever is taking over my rocks.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    IMG_0137.PNG
  2. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ratings:
    +2,580
    Australia
    State:
    VIc
    How old is the tank? Looks like a stage of a cycling tank to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fmxchick

Fmxchick Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    This current tank is 5 weeks, previous tank that all the rock, coral and fish came from was 4 months old.
    I had gone through GHA in the previous tank and a small diatom bloom but then set this 1 up and transferred everything except the original sand bed to this.
  4. lukusis

lukusis Member

Ratings:
    +407
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Mini cycle.

Iirc, when you take live rock out into the fresh air, even just between tanks, there is a minute amount of die off, causing a mini cycle in the destination tank.

As for the bubbles, have you got a Turkey baster/Julians Thing? If so, blast them free with that :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fmxchick

Fmxchick Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Thanks for the advice, will try getting them off tonight with that method :)