New To Reefing

dino

Aug 6, 2012
Dino's Back
Good day to all.
I'm back to reefing after a two and a half year break.
My tank (5x2x2.5) had been running by itself with minimal intervention. No water changes for over 2 years. No skimming for past 18months after the skimmer pump failed. Frag tank over-run with macro algae.
The only intervention from me was refilling the auto-top-up with RODI water, and a daily feed for the fish.
Surprisingly no fish losses in the past year, and the nem and some of the corals are still doing ok.
PO4 was 0.12 one month ago, now 0.05 after resuming skimming and water changes.
Tank is still very retro – running MH lighting and a Beckett skimmer – what are they? some of you younger reefers may ask.
Looking forward to restock the tank and catching up with old friends and making new ones.

This was how the tank looked two and a half years ago:
reef.jpg

Hoping to get the tank back to it's former glory soon. Will put up some updates when the tank is more respectable.
Cheers, Dien.

E

ezza

Wonderful looking display! Looking forward to it too.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Welcome back! Always enjoyed your posts. You're following the classic pattern of a Lifer in the reefing world, we all come and go in our interest in the hobby :)

dino

Aug 6, 2012
Thanks for the welcome back everyone.

Any pics of the beckett skimmer? Just got my hands on one too :)
The skimmer was built by the late Peter, aka turbo on MASA.
Beautifully made and built to last a lifetime. I managed to have acquired 2 of these skimmers.
The spare one is exactly the same as the one in this link:
http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=175563&p=349434
I'm currently running a smaller version of it.

Last edited:

DeWalt

May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Your tank looks much deeper (front to back) than what it probably really is. Love the look.

The skimmer was built by the late Peter, aka turbo on MASA.
How I used to salivate about the gear that he made, real quality stuff.

dino

Aug 6, 2012
Your tank looks much deeper (front to back) than what it probably really is. Love the look.
Tank is 2' front to back.
It appears deeper due to optical illusion.
Tank is in-wall, the back is in the garage.
The blue background is painted on a board placed 12cm from the back glass and is backlit.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Tank is 2' front to back.
It appears deeper due to optical illusion.
Tank is in-wall, the back is in the garage.
The blue background is painted on a board placed 12cm from the back glass and is backlit.
This is genius!